Does your PC keep Freezing

BRFCIDB 20:21 03 Jan 2008

I have had this problem off and on for over 18 months. I sent it in for repair and although they agreed it freezed several times, they couldn't find the fault. There is no pattern, on the NET downloading, watching a DVD, using word, then it just freezes. I need to switch it off and (sometimes even turn off at mains) before re-booting. It can run for anything between 2mins and 10 hours before it freezes. I have done all the msoft and driver updates, all hardware "appears" to be working according to PC Doctor and no over heating. So anyone got any other suggestions?

The shop repalced everything apart from the Motherboard, and ok it could be that but it's a HP special and their service center in Leeds want £190.00+ VAT to fit it and will still not guarantee it will stop the freezing!!!

Looks like a common problem, but it's going to the tip if it keeps doing it, I have spent weeks trying to resolve the problem, BIO updates you name it.

I guess I could start replacing CPU's and RAM etc but where do you stop, it may be cheaper to buy a new base unit.

Interested to hear if anyonelse has the same problem and had any success. How can I tell if its a capacitor?

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard (Model Pavilion)
Mainboard : Asus Oxford
Chipset : Intel i865PE
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3200 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5200 [NV34.3]
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
Hard Disk : ST332082 (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B
Monitor Type : PW191 - 19 inches
Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4306(??) 802.11g Wireless NIC
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2007)

Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2007)

SPEC
DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 03 Jan 2008

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

citadel 20:44 03 Jan 2008

I had this problem and it was the psu.

citadel 20:47 03 Jan 2008

you can get a 865pe motherbord cheap and fit it yourself, you will neeed a oem copy xp as well.

p;3 21:56 03 Jan 2008

you do not mention ( or did I miss it?)what your antivirus program is ( or even are) and what other protection you have on board, when last fully updated and last run

rerytnai 22:41 03 Jan 2008

I also have a similar issue with my computer, i have yet to find any consistency with it when it goes, but in addition when i come to re boot it either just starts the fan and nothing else, or starts running the bios but stops almost straight away, after saying 'auto-detecting sec slave...atapi cdrom' and will sit there until i turn it off. i too have tried all kinds, new ram, new (well, good used) higher power processor, all kinds of driver updates, none of this made the slightest difference, not touched the bios, just in case i kill it properly. anti virus and spyware software is all up to date and all kinds. haven't tried formatting it yet as i don't fully know how to do it.

DieSse 22:57 03 Jan 2008

There are a zillion (well a lot) of causes for freezing systems.

Often faulty hardware as well as software errors conflicts.

Hard drive and graphic card problems, RAM and cable problems and motherboard and processor problems are all possibles.

Bad contacts on the processor socket are also possible.

Since most of the hardware seems to have been changed - you need to look at the items that haven't been, and try and eliminate them one by one.

Intermittent problems are simply the worst and longest to troubleshoot correctly.

DieSse 23:00 03 Jan 2008

PS - if it was under warranty when the problems fist started, you could simply ask them for a complete relacement base unit. The shop simply saying yes it freezes, and not reaching a fix one way or the other is not an acceptable stance IMO.

I hope they didn't charge you for not finding a fault?

rerytnai 23:04 03 Jan 2008

i totally agree, i am a hgv mechanic by trade, and the one word that gives me chills is 'intermittent'. its just going to be a long logical process, checking everything again and again, i never trust new parts as they could be faulty, so if something new doesn't improve anything it gets put back to original.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?