does xp sp3 mess up your computer?

losmil 16:10 19 Aug 2010

have installed xp sp3 at msn behest, what they do not tell you is that it will remove my cd rom and my dvd rewriter from my system (only recovered using system restore)and also although sp2 will allow me to install my nikon ls30, sp3 just causes my computer to freeze when run up to about 99% completed.
Am I alone or is it an sp3 bug and if so can it be fixed without uninstalling sp3?

woodchip 16:16 19 Aug 2010

On my Five computer "NO" one of these being Dual boot 98se/XP home. Sounds like your hardware that's the problem

losmil 16:30 19 Aug 2010

can it still be a hardware problem even though device manager is telling me the both my scsi cars and the nikon ls32 scanner are both properly installed?

losmil 16:31 19 Aug 2010

can it still be a hardware problem even though device manager is telling me the both my scsi cars and the nikon ls32 scanner are both properly installed?

Woolwell 16:32 19 Aug 2010

Like woodchip I have installed SP3 on 5 systems without any trouble at all.

DieSse 16:42 19 Aug 2010

No SP3 doesn't mess up your computer - usually. I've installed it on probably in excess of 100 systems, with nary a problem.

However - there may be something in your system that causes issues. I read of many issues involving Nikon LS-30s, including inability to install on XP with SP2!.

Issues seem to centre around what SCSI card you have, and the drivers for it. Can you tell us what SCSI card you have (this is not normally a Nikon device - in fact probably doesn't come with the Nikon as standard, though you may have bought a bundle with a SCSI card included).

sunnystaines 16:43 19 Aug 2010

all problem free with sp3

losmil 16:50 19 Aug 2010

yes, well i did wonder about the scsi card and since i have an adaptec aha 2940 installed on my other computer, not sp3, and it does work, i have bid for a 2940 on e bay BUT that computer runs sp2 only, not too expensive now, so will try that if nothing else comes up by way of a solution

losmil 17:31 19 Aug 2010

DieSse, the card not apparently working but is properly installed (it says) is the adaptec 2903A and is the card that nikon appeared to recommend, so I will just have to try a new card (2940) although the 2903 came out of a computer where it did work, but not with sp3

losmil 15:56 28 Aug 2010

trouble is I think I have tried the solutions offered but still the problem persists, at least 3 different scsi cards all of which say the are correctly installed, which seems to be the only bit of hardware involved and the were tried in my other machine and the nikon ls 30 installed with no problems.
adaptec scsi 2903, 2904 and 2940 all allow nikon ls30
installation (tried them all)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?