Does such a thing exist?

drew645 12:24 22 Jan 2005

I am wondering if there is any software which will safely remove duplicate DLLs. I have found several that identify duplicates but give stern warnings about removing anything!
What I am hoping for is a program which will tell me what is safe to remove and ideally alter references so that programs using DLLs will be "re-directed" to the remaining copy.
I have about 3gigs of duplicates so it is annoying.
Can anyone help or am I living in dreamland?
regards
Andrew

john-232317 13:48 22 Jan 2005

Friendly google came up with this : click here

Dennis1 14:26 22 Jan 2005

There's this never used it but it's free.click here
Dennis

Dennis1 14:27 22 Jan 2005

Sorry that's the wrong one.click here
Dennis

PA28 14:46 22 Jan 2005

Please, please - be very careful in the wonderful world of DLLs.

drew645 22:36 22 Jan 2005

Thanks to all, I'll give them a go.
If it solves the problem I'll post the result.
Fortunately I keep a complete copy of my hard disk so I can recover if I get it wrong!
Regards
Andrew

FelixTCat 23:16 22 Jan 2005

Programs look for dlls first in their own directories, then in \windows\system32. However, programmes sometimes need different versions of any specific dll. To test this, where there is a dll in both the program's directories and in \system32, rename the one in the program directory to XXX.dlo and run the program. If it runs properly for a while, you can either delete the .dlo or back it up, noting where it came from. If the program won't work, then it needs that version of the dll.

NickyK 00:59 23 Jan 2005

This product (No Clone) was included on the February 2005 Computer Shopper cover-DVD. Up to you whether or not this can be regarded as a recommendation (CS would disclaim and say "use at own risk"). I haven't tried it.

Axelab's Win speed-up (cover mounted on our beloved PC Advisor Jan 2005) also has a duplicate file edit facility. This allows you to delete the duplicate files individually, so at least you can take out the obvious and leave anything you are unsure about.

3 gigs of duplicates is annoying (I have somewhere around the same) but unless you have a space-shortage, they might not be worth messing with.

In my case,I have left my duplcates alone. Better safe than sorry, and back-ups are all very well, if they were done right in the first place. If it ain't broke, etc. Too much error margin. (My opinion, only).

Dennis1 11:41 23 Jan 2005

I've just tried the one I told you about,removed nearly 400 duplicate files, Just thought I'd pass the information on.
Dennis

drew645 08:24 24 Jan 2005

Thanks to all.
I have run the suggestions and have a list to work with. I'll try to figure out the safe ones to delete.
Cheers
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires