Does RJ11 to BT cable do same job as RJ11toRJ11

Tick Tock 3 19:13 16 Jan 2007

Can i connect RJ11/BT from modem router to the phone side of a microfilter and into the BT socket.is it the same function.

Forum Editor 19:22 16 Jan 2007

it isn't.

Tick Tock 3 19:52 16 Jan 2007

Can you tell me what its for then,thanks.

Jackcoms 20:18 16 Jan 2007

This cable is suitable for connecting a Dial-up Modem to a BT phone socket or most Standard Phones (with RJ11 connection) to a BT phone socket.

Tick Tock 3 20:45 16 Jan 2007

Ok understand thanks again.

Dipso 21:49 16 Jan 2007

You can however connect the RJ11/BT directly to the phone socket (without the filter) which is handy for extensions where no phone is likely to be used. I used to have this set up.

You can't connect it through the phone side of the filter as the ADSL signal doesn't need to be filtered and therefore it wouldn't work.

Tick Tock 3 14:09 04 Feb 2007

Just to make clear as jackoms above post says its not for a modem/router for broadband,iuse the master socket for my connection at present with a

Tick Tock 3 14:19 04 Feb 2007

Just to make clear as jackoms above post says its not for a modem/router for broadband,iuse the master socket for my connection at present with a RJ11 to RJ11 cable and filter,i do not use a phone on this socket,on a other forum i read a post which said a microfilter should not be used on the master socket just for the modem/router as it can slow down the adsl single coming into the house,but i should have a filter on all sockets with a phone.

Dipso 16:18 04 Feb 2007

If you connect the router to the master socket but no phone is used at that socket then you can use the RJ11/BT cable as I explained as there is no need for a filter at this socket.

As you say you just need to filter any extensions you have.

I wouldn't think using the filter even though not required would have much effect on your signal though as you are connecting through the ADSL side of the filter which is the unfiltered side...if you get what I mean! :)

Tick Tock 3 20:51 04 Feb 2007

I understand thanks for reply,i have just seen your link on a other thread about the BT wiring very interesting about the ring wire.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?