Does new Motherboard need new copy of XP

It's Me 14:42 11 Oct 2004

Am I missing something or misunderstanding this
click here ,or perhaps worried needlessly.

But if a PC built with a new motherboard won't register an old copy of XP, does that mean that if you upgrade your PC with a new motherboard you have to also buy a new copy of XP. If not, why was the answer given as it was in the case quoted above.

ventanas 14:50 11 Oct 2004

Changeing a motherboard has always severed an OEM Windows licence. This is why XP would not activate in the thread contained in your link. If you change the m/b and you use OEM XP, you must buy a new retail copy.

Or so I believed. During a recent conversation with Microsoft I was told that now both the m/b and the "chassis" whatever that is, need to be changed before the licence is severed. So which one is wrong?

Giggle n' Bits 14:51 11 Oct 2004

It's me ref the other post.

Apparently if you replace a Motherboard and try a reinstall of the same XP then go to activate the XP it will not activate !

When Activating XP or any of the other Microsoft Software's which have product Activation built in its got to be a new software & Licence.

This is because when sending the Activation to Microsoft it also sends the Seriel Number of the motherboard. So if a different Seriel Number is used/sent with another activation you are refused to activate the windows again.

Now I am thinking, didn't or Doesn't it say somewhere that when activating Microsoft software that no details are sent and your privacy is respected. Well somewhere along hte lines.

Finally, New Motherboard and a new Software is needed.

This is only for OEM Products !

PA28 15:07 11 Oct 2004

Recently had a P4 on an MSI Board go down the pipe. Rebuilt using a Gigabyte Board, new memory to accompany an Athlon3200+. Reactivated OEM XP Home without so much as a sniff of any problem, which surprised me. I was prepared to argue it over the phone if necessary - thankfully, it wasn't.

It's Me 15:16 11 Oct 2004

Thank you for that. So if I have a boxed copy of XP Pro as an upgrade, I will be able to reuse that if I change my motherboard. Good.

Heck, if this is right, upgrading a PC has suddenly become a whole lot more expensive, particularly since we seem to be in a mode of both AMD and Intel merrily changing the number of pins they are using. Now you don't think that they are in co - - - - . No! Surely not, perish the dreadful thought.

This must have been said elsewhere I suppose, but I've not noticed it.

It's Me 15:28 11 Oct 2004

When I posted my 15.16 your post had not appeared for some reason, however, your post muddies the water even more. Does anyone have a definitive answer I wonder. I am just confused, but then I ususlly am in this state.

JonnyTub 15:36 11 Oct 2004

Hi it's me, to be absoluetly sure and so your confident in doing so, why not give microsoft uk a tinkle on the ol'e dog and bone. They are very friendly and will answer your question immediately. This question get's bounced around the forum all the time and many people have differing opinions. The responses you've had so far have in my opinion answered your problem, but sometimes differing opinions cause confusion.

For your sanity
click here :-)

Noelg23 15:38 11 Oct 2004

Now I am thinking, didn't or Doesn't it say somewhere that when activating Microsoft software that no details are sent and your privacy is respected. Well somewhere along hte lines.

you're not wrong there Blue~Note cos in the past PCs I have built with XP it always says we only need your name and address...or something like that...so how can they know you're using a different motherboard with the same XP?

uisquebeathus 16:15 11 Oct 2004

I read a test done in ausie land where almost all drives and cards were removed to a minimum of graphics, floppy ,cd and a hard drive then all repeat all drivers were set back to microsoft type and then the board was changed.

blanco 16:31 11 Oct 2004

Just to add that I am on my third motherboard since upgrading to XP (although retail) and have been automatically re-activated each time.

It's Me 17:09 11 Oct 2004

I have just 'phoned them as you suggested. 10 min before I got through to an Irish gentleman. Very friendly.

He said that with a motherboard replacement, since the registration is tied up to the motherboard identification, this would be seen as a new PC, and would most probably reject a re-registration, which would require a phone call to explain and get it reactivated that way. However, and this is a big however, this would happen with my retail product alright, but it would not happen at all with an OEM version.

This is fine for me, but is a beast for those buying a new PC with an installed copy. Furthermore, it is, interestingly, at odds with some experiences related here, but it does confirm the experience of the post originally referred to.

From this I presume that the motherboard info. is passed to Microsoft during the initial registration, otherwise how could they possibly expect to control the matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?