Does my Android tablet need anti virus protection ?

blackpat 08:29 14 Apr 2015

Hi Have a tablet with Android. I was told that Android was owned by Google and google protects against viruses. Is this true?

Jollyjohn 12:21 14 Apr 2015

Have a look here click here The consensus appears to be that you dont need antivirus on Android. Always download apps from Play store and you should be fine. My wife has had a Nexus 7 for 3 years and we have never put anti virus on it and we have had no problems.

Batch 12:55 14 Apr 2015

You can download Avast Free for Android from the play store. Very light on resources. Even if it is not not strictly necessary, as it is available and free, why not?

blackpat 15:52 14 Apr 2015

Many thanks Jolly John and Batch for putting my mind at rest. Kind regards Blackpat.

SparkyJack 16:04 14 Apr 2015

I suspect that Virus and other nesties are a 'Windows' thing. IosAnxroid/Linux seem to be imune---So far. If a 'nastie' writer has another in his sights to mess with,my guess is Android.

wee eddie 16:52 14 Apr 2015

Virus Makers go for the largest market, the low hanging fruit as it were, with the most potential for gain.

At the present, that is Windows, as many millions do their finances on it.

As the numbers of folk that use their Android phones for Personal Banking and Payments, instead of Cash, increases. The potential for Virus Writers and Hackers, to make money, will become much more tempting and so they will pursue their trade into Android.

Apple, with only about 10% of the market, is too small to offer such an easy target.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 14 Apr 2015

Does my Android tablet need anti virus protection ?

Yes

especially if you do any monetary transactions like Banking or even have a Paypal / Amazon account.

access to your passwords could lead someone to buy stuff using your account.

First thing I did with my Nexus was install Antvius and antimalware (Avast) Play store has already been plagued with bad apps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017