Does Memory Stick Need Formatting?

Robotic_Rob 20:26 02 Jan 2008

Hey,

My mother has got a USB memory stick that shes been storing files on to do with work on to take it home to work on. The computer is now saying the memory stick needs to be formatted. Im guessing that part of the data on the memory stick is corrupt and it needs formatting like it says. But before she does this is they any way that she can copy the files off it?

Cheers

recap 20:35 02 Jan 2008

First I would try it on the PC it was last used on.

If that doesn't recover the data click here for free software it may help you to recover the data. I have not used this piece of software myself so cannot guarantee it.

Probabilitydrive 20:58 02 Jan 2008

I did use this file recovery freeware to save a missing word-file from my USB stick click here

Although not quite as straightforward as I thought it would be - it worked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 02 Jan 2008

Smart recovery click here
zero assumption click here
Restor Pen Drives click here

DieSse 23:33 02 Jan 2008

Memory sticks can be corrupted by removing them without using the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. This ensure you don't remove the stick when Windows is talking to it.

Just a suggestion to avoid problems for the future, in case this is what she was doing.

Robotic_Rob 23:48 02 Jan 2008

[qoute]
--DieSse--
Memory sticks can be corrupted by removing them without using the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. This ensure you don't remove the stick when Windows is talking to it.

Just a suggestion to avoid problems for the future, in case this is what she was doing.
[/qoute]

Dont worry ive already told her about this.

Cheers all for links. For me the only one that worked was that Data Doctor Recovery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone