Does this mean a format and reinstall?

dagwoood 04:08 23 Oct 2004

I was running a system restore and when it rebooted, windows started to load and then I was greated with a black screen with just my cursor sitting in the middle of it and no hard drive activity.

I tried rebooting into the last good known configuration and got to the same black screen. Ditto for booting into the different safe modes.

Is this, as I think, terminal and requires a format and reinstall?

Cheers, dagwoood.

P.S.Its only through the wonders of using a Linux Live CD that I could post this!!!

harps1h 07:43 23 Oct 2004

try rebooting it in soft mode first and indentify if there is a reason for the black screen. as a matter of interest why did you use restore?

harps1h 07:44 23 Oct 2004

sorry typo. safe mode!

JonnyTub 09:17 23 Oct 2004

I think your best option would be to repair the installation by installing over the top, you say you can't get it to boot in any mode so not a lot of choice really.

dagwoood 11:07 23 Oct 2004

Harps1h, cannnot get into safe mode at all. Doing a system restore as I'd tried out some different graphics drivers(D.N.A.)and didn't realise there's no uninstall option for them.

JonnyTub, never occurred to me to attempt a repair(talk about missing the obvious!!). I'll see if that'll work.

Thank you both, dagwoood.

Rayuk 11:37 23 Oct 2004

click here
You could try this,I used this a fortnight ago to restore a friends system.

Rayuk 11:38 23 Oct 2004

PS After using this I came across an article in the PCAdvisor mag about the same thing.

dagwoood 21:52 23 Oct 2004

Rayuk, thanks for the link but there's just one problem. I think my O.E.M copy of XP is knackered!!!

I've got to take my pc back to the shop that built my system and see whether it's the disk or there's a problem somewhere else.

Thank god I downloaded Linux Featherlite, at least I can still surf or I'd be sitting looking at a blank screen ;0)

Thanks again everyone for the advice, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?