Does laptop have wireless internet connection

johnincrete 14:55 07 Oct 2009

1. How do I tell if a laptop has a built in wireless connection? No user documentation.
2. If it does have wireless and I go to one of the many tavernas here that have a wireless router, how do I know if the laptop has linked up.

ened 15:17 07 Oct 2009

If you click on the icon next to the clock (Two little monitors)it will tell you what networks are available.

To find out if it is wireless enabled look for Network Devices in Device Manager.

Stuartli 15:24 07 Oct 2009

You may have to find a switch on one of the laptop's edges to Enable wireless use.

If you have the model number you can check out the specification at the manufacturer's website and, more than likely be able to download the manual.

Forum Editor 15:28 07 Oct 2009

and as Stuartli says, there'll be a small slider switch somewhere on the front or side edge of the machine - usually (but not always) with a small LED that lights when the wireless adapter is operating.

If your taverna has a public access WiFi network your laptop will connect to it as soon as you tell it to. Select the network from the list that appears when you click in the system tray as suggested by ened. Click on the network name and then click 'Connect'. If the network has free access your laptop will do the rest. You'll need to ask for a network security key if there's a small connection charge.

johnincrete 05:48 08 Oct 2009

What a great forum this is!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?