Does the 'keep alive' option use much bandwidth?

vitrocmax 21:59 11 Sep 2006

I've recently set up a Linksys WAG345G to save swapping cables around while working on various PCs.

The only way I can get all the PCs to connect is to have the 'keep alive' setting selected, instead of the 'connect on demand' option.

I assume that there is some activity because if I'm not using the connection the lights flash at regular intervals (I've set it to redial at 180 sec - the highest it will take)

Does anybody know how much bandwidth this will be using, and what the connection will be?

TIA

vitrocmax

ade.h 22:33 11 Sep 2006

DoD is only for ADSL users who actually have to dial on demand, which some do. We're talking about a negligible amount of bytes.

vitrocmax 22:44 11 Sep 2006

Thanks, ade.h

My connection (to Orange) has always been connect on demand. I understood this to be an extra level of security, as I would only be connected to the internet when I was actively using it, reducing exposure to the 'darker' side.

I've no idea how much of my 2GB allowance I'm using, but a 20 second 'default' refresh over a month (if I leave the gateway on all the time) could add up.

I switch it off if I'm not using it, it starts quickly enough when required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017