Does ISP's provide routers?

oo7juk 23:24 04 Jan 2007

Hi,

My mother-in-law has just purchased a laptop, if she contacs a ISP will they provide her with a router. I've never had a laptop so don't know how it works.

Many thanks

johnnyrocker 23:28 04 Jan 2007

most will i believe or will advise accordingly try click here for isp comparison

johnny.

sean-278262 00:34 05 Jan 2007

My provider EFH broadband did provide a modem. However a wired router is about £20. It can prove easier than getting your ISP to ship you out a modem. Often takes them 28days or some such rubbish.

bainy 01:03 05 Jan 2007

Most of them will provide a router but they will tie you into a 12 month contract and some will supply a router depending on the type of broadband product purchased. Best to get your own router (£40+) and have a monthly rolling contract from your isp.

pac73 01:43 05 Jan 2007

Most isp,s make you sign for 12 months when you first sign up.Im with Telewest Blueyonder Broadband,and i got a Motorola Surfboard Modem delivered with all cables and installation cds within 3 days of the phone call.Im really happy with TW,as ive not encountered any problems in the 11 months ive been with them.PAC 73.

Jimmy14 03:35 05 Jan 2007

The only isp's I know that provide wireless routers are,

BT- Their own BT Home Hub comes free with options 2 and 3 on Total Broadband Packages otherwise you can pay £30 for the wireless hub on option 1 or £50 over the phone.

Sky- Sky provide a free Netgear DG834G wireless router with all their broadband packages which of course requires you to have their tv package to get broadband from them.

AOL- They provide a wireless router with all of their broadband packages

oo7juk 17:35 12 Jan 2007

Thanks, she recevied her modem yesterday. Just one question, if she wants to use the laptop in different rooms will she have to buy a router or some sort of card that lets her do this.

Many thanks.

Dipso 22:42 12 Jan 2007

If she has a phone point in each room it would just be a case of moving the modem and plugging it in.

Otherwise if she bought a wireless modem/router (abandoning the modem) after setting it up she could connect wirelessly throughout the house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?