Does Google Monitor/Note your Searches

Border View 17:52 18 Sep 2010

I have tried the search facility on this forum for my query without success.

A while ago I am sure I can recall that Google monitored your searches and kept a record.

Can anyone please clarify. Would Google be that bothered about my searches?

mfletch 18:22 18 Sep 2010

I don,t know if Google do but your Internet provider may do so.

Are they bothered well no

Not unless your a terrorist or pedophile

Border View 18:34 18 Sep 2010

Good Heavens above. I only asked a simple question. Did not expect reference to terrorism or pedophilia. Those words alone will set off alarm bells in all sorts of security systems. I am interested in family history and was researching a question a colleague/fellow researcher has raised about the sites she researches.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:49 18 Sep 2010

'Those words alone will set off alarm bells in all sorts of security systems'...only in people's paranoid minds.

G

rdave13 18:58 18 Sep 2010

I should think that Google monitors statistics more than what you personally search for.

Muergo 19:00 18 Sep 2010

Just because you THINK you are not paranoid doesn't mean that THEY aren't out to get ya !!?

gazzaho 19:08 18 Sep 2010

I believe Google do monitor searches, for terrorist or paedophile reasons I've no idea, but almost certainly for information to do with an individuals buying habits for commercial reasons, after all they're in the business of making money.
All search engines would, I'm sure, collect that kind of information.

I doubt if they would have individual peoples information though, although perhaps law enforcement agencies, with the proper paperwork, may be able to acquire a persons personal search results if needed.

Border View 19:52 18 Sep 2010

Thank you for your reassurance.

sunnystaines 20:36 18 Sep 2010

someone does but its for harmless adverts, this week my wife visited the avon site, then by chance got a avon mag in the post, also visited travelshere same day and surprised a mag followed in the post as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone