Does a desktop.ini file in the desktop folder signify virus infection?

K*B 08:05 02 Sep 2014
Answered

Hello friends, just to confirm: Do desktop.ini files in the desktop folder and perhaps elsewhere on the hard drive signify a virus infection? If so how do I get rid of the infection? My MS Vista Basic laptop runs AVAST Free antivirus and is on internet and hence receives constant virus definition updates. There is a blurred desktop.ini file on the desktop which is like a shadow of the real desktop.ini file also on the desktop. What action to take friends? thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 08:42 02 Sep 2014
Answer

"Does a desktop.ini file in the desktop folder signify virus infection?"

No, it's completely normal.

"What action to take friends? "

Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> "View" tab and tick the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option. Those icons will then vanish from view.

alanrwood 09:06 02 Sep 2014

They just contain layout information for if the folder is displayed in Windows Explorer. They appear in nearly every folder that you display. You can delete them if you want and they are just re3-created the next time.

Secret-Squirrel 09:27 02 Sep 2014

K*B, I've just noticed that you asked almost the same question last March where you were trying to delete those files and got a warning saying they were system files.

Please understand that those files not malicious and are part of Windows, so there's no need to delete them nor worry about them. Simply set your Folder Options to hide protected operating-system files (which is what everyone else does.

K*B 10:47 05 Sep 2014

Thanks friends, I get it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?