Does anyone have a router that works?

Ray5776 21:04 24 Jun 2006

Hi everyone,
"Does anyone have a router that works" I would have posted this in the networking forum but that is full of people whose routers dont work.

If anyone knows of one please can you tell me, I want to set up a simple network but it seems like mission impossible.

Tried a crossover cable but constant "limited or no connection"

Tried a BT Voyager modem/router but it was determined to connect me to BT Broadband when my ISP is Wanadoo (Orange) so gave up with it.

Now got a Safecom 4 port modem/router, impossible to set it up and get it to work.

Can anyone suggest a router that works and you dont need to be Einstein to set it up.

ade.h 21:13 24 Jun 2006

Ray, be a bit patient ;-)

I know you didn't get the best start by buying a brand that none of us regulars use, but we'll get there.

As for "...the Networking forum....is full of people whose routers don't work", there happen to be a number of regular contributors whose routers work perfectly thanks. I can honestly say that I have never yet been unable to set up a router myself - and I don't mean that as a boast or anything - but it is not as easy when trying to work remotely.

Ray5776 21:40 24 Jun 2006

OK ade.h
Caught me out a treat there -:)
I was just getting fed up with it.
Regards Ray

Ray5776 21:44 24 Jun 2006

I had better close this thread before I am accused of double posting.

Ray5776 22:01 24 Jun 2006

Thanks pattoo,
Tried crossover cable one comp to another both XP
no router. Works fine sometimes but often "limited or no connectivity" hence my idea to use a router.

If you read the preceeding postings you will see what I have tried.

Thanks for your reply
Ray

woodchip 22:42 24 Jun 2006

I use a 3Com Office connect

And it works well.

click here

woodchip 22:44 24 Jun 2006

3 years warranty with it

ed-0 22:48 24 Jun 2006

Mines a belkin

my sons is a belkin

my daughters is a belkin

They all work fine:-)

ade.h 22:49 24 Jun 2006

Agreed. I have set up a couple of 3Coms and they are good, despite the modest price of most models. They fair well against my other favourites. But then they should be pretty good; 3Com has been in this game longer than most.

woodchip 22:54 24 Jun 2006

I also like the Router Software with it, Setup page that is. and it's alway best to download the latest firmware

ade.h 23:02 24 Jun 2006

Yes, the UI is one of the best laid out. Right up there with Belkin. D-Links are alright; functional, but not exactly eye-candy! Linksys can be a bit over-complex on some models.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?