A dodgy hammer to crack a nut.

GRIDD 19:52 17 Oct 2008

I have just committed myself to trying to right a major wrong with a colleagues laptop.

He owns a Dell that came with pre-loaded OEM XP home. He complained to another colleague about instability and loss of internet connections...

The offered solution? A pirate copy of XP pro to installed over the top. Which is now gone wrong - Bloody 'eck I don't know who is dafter! The person that offered it or him for installing it!!

He tried tapping f8 to restore from recovery partition - it obviously doesn't work. His restore disk apparently doesn't work either.

What do I advise him to do next? My own idea is a borrowed xp home disk using his serial or he buys another copy of windows.

The laptop is a couple of years old now - so he tells me, I've no idea of spec, model (other than knowing it's an Inspiron) etc etc.

Any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 17 Oct 2008

My own idea is a borrowed xp home disk using his serial

That's really the best way to go now unfortunately he will have lost all data pictures etc.

Technotiger 20:06 17 Oct 2008

Your idea of borrowing a XP disk is the best way, using his legit Key.

Technotiger 20:07 17 Oct 2008

I must learn to type faster ... :-))

brundle 20:51 17 Oct 2008

If you install over the top or do a repair, ensure you replace the Drivers.cab file in the Windows folder with the XP Home one - the Pro one is larger and can cause all sorts of weird problems if it's left in place.

GRIDD 20:59 17 Oct 2008

It'll be a clean install as he has stuff backed up on external disk. I just need to find someone with a Home XP disk as I only have computers with Vista.

lotvic 21:22 17 Oct 2008

For Dell restore you have to hold down Ctrl whilst pressing (tapping) F11 at startup
Dell help with restore click here

woodchip 22:43 17 Oct 2008

The above will only work if the XP CD is a Microsoft one not a OEM manufactures XP cd as these are altered in the setup directory, with regards to the setup key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires