dodgy dial ups

Billy 20:25 24 Oct 2003

I'm running Win98 and with a dial up connection. Outlook works fine, but IE appears to sit doing nothing for more than a minute when I click to go to a new page. The connection icon on the sys tray remains blank and there's no activity, then the thing suddenly burts into life and presto, my page comes up.
I know I haven't given much background on my system here but if anyone can give me a starting point I'd be grateful.

sil_ver 20:35 24 Oct 2003

Seems a bit like your ISP is a bit congested. Sometimes, if you disconnect and redial you can get a better connection.

Billy 20:41 24 Oct 2003

thanks sil_ver. The connections like this every time I dial up. I'm sure it wasn't always like this but don't know when it got slower!

woodchip 20:52 24 Oct 2003

If you are talking about this site, it's normal. This as been my complaint for don?t know how long. You finish up pressing reload button and stop button the repress reload button it's a nightmare

expertec 20:52 24 Oct 2003

There could be a prgram in the background recording where you go on the internet, scan for spyware using Spybot from click here and Ad-Aware from click here

Billy 10:49 25 Oct 2003

when things grind to a halt, the icon in the system tray goes blank. I'd have thought that if it was that my ISP was busy the icon would appear to attempt to download the next page? I'm probably wrong but the feeling is that maybe there's something wrong with my settings. I've been through them but am not sure. It doesn't only happen with this site.
When I click a link to a new page, what exactly happens? Does my pc send some sort of request? If so, it's like this request is delayed being sent...

Proxy Worm 13:32 25 Oct 2003

Also contact your phone operator to get your phone line checkd- ask them to increase your gain. Also as axpertec said its worth geting Adaware to check it out. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?