Documents slow opening

Daiol 08:33 14 Jan 2011

Hi,I have a desktop using windows xp pro sp3 fully updated 3gb ram.500gb hdd.When I go to start then click on my documents it opens up about halfway and I can see the desktop then after a second or two it opens up fully.Had this problem for a while done all malwarebyts superantispyware,spybot,ccleaner,eusing reg cleaner,defrag etc.
So over the last few wet days i thought I would have another look at this annoying problem done all the above all over again Went into C drive and looked there especially in the programs folder there are some icons there with black print and others with blue print under the icons,Also there are some folders that are shaded out.Can someone 'please' help me out here what would be the best plan,or any other options to try and resolve this annoying prob.
Many thanks dave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:32 14 Jan 2011

Windows 2K, XP and Vista have the colouring schemes:

Black = Normal
Blue = Compressed
Green = Encrypted

To try and cure your problem use the system file checker
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Daiol 13:18 14 Jan 2011

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks for reply.1st regarding the black & blue text am I correct in thinking there's no problem there?.
2nd.Regarding the 'sfc /scannow'Tried that yes it did ask me for the windows disc,Well I had the original cd with the licence number.I placed the cd into drive and now and again I had to click on the 'Retry' tab but anyway it completed the task in about 20mins or so.
Sorry to say it did not cure the problem with the documents slow opening.Is there an option on the windows disc for repair would you suggest that method or something else?,I'm trying to avoid a complete reinstall if possible.
Anyway by for now thanks,If you do think of an alternative repair I would be mostly glad.Make it an easy one as I'm not very good on techy things.
Thanks.dave.

GaT7 14:02 14 Jan 2011

Yes, it's normal to have black, blue & 'shaded out' icon text. The last is a 'hidden' file/folder.

You can try an OS repair-install - click here for instructions with screenshots. Don't forget to backup prior to this (just in case), & have your 25-character Product key to hand. G

Daiol 16:23 14 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Yea,Thanks for your info been reading the link you gave ,Lookes a bit out of my league yes I do have the 25-character product key,& I have a full backup.
Looks as if I will do the repair I will loose my documents and program etc,Would you say thats correct?,Looking a bit to techy for me unlesss its easier than it looks on the link you gave.
Thinking hard,dave.

GaT7 16:30 14 Jan 2011

A repair-install as detailed there will not delete/change data or programs, BUT always safe to backup these up (especially data) anyway just in case - as mentioned in my previous post.

Take it one step at a time. Any time you get stuck, just say where you're at & we'll tell you what to do next. Start with that backup. G

Daiol 18:33 14 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
thanks for your confidence,I think you got more than I have.I will think it over in the next few days just one point will this repair do anything to the windows updates etc.Regarding boot up from cd,Does that mean once I place the cd into drive and switch on pc what should I expect to see on screen?.
Thanks for your time and patience with my long drawn out questions.dave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 14 Jan 2011

Click Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab and select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply/OK. Now open that My Documents folder and look for a Thumbs.db file and right click it and choose delete. Now close the My Documents folder then open it again. The first time you open it it may be slow but once a new Thumbs.db file is created it should then open faster.

Note: The Thumbs.db file stores a cache of the thumbnails and after a period of time can get bloated thus the slow down when opening the folder. Deleting it will not do any harm since it will be automatically be recreated.

GaT7 18:47 14 Jan 2011

"thanks for your confidence,I think you got more than I have.I will think it over in the next few days"

OK, no problem & you may be right there.

But I guess you have to start somewhere! The first time I did something similar many years ago I was close to being a PC-virgin & didn't have the luxury of screenshots.

-----------------------------------------------

"just one point will this repair do anything to the windows updates etc."

Yes, you will have to download & install them again.

With certain settings (which I'll let you know), you can have them downloaded & installed via an internal update screen (i.e. no need to visit Windows Update site except at the very end).

"Does that mean once I place the cd into drive and switch on pc what should I expect to see on screen?"

Have you looked at the following pages in the link I posted? It comes with screenshots at every step you lucky chap :-).

"Thanks for your time and patience with my long drawn out questions.dave."

No problem at all. Ask as many & as long drawn out questions as you need to. G

Daiol 21:25 14 Jan 2011

Hi all,I managed to catch an image of the problem when opening my documents,You can see by the image that one point it freezes before it open full page.[IMG]click here[/IMG]
dave.

woodchip 21:29 14 Jan 2011

Does it scroll when looking at photos? Do you have onboard Graphics?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?