Docs & Files?

podlod 08:38 16 Jul 2010

Hi, In my > My Documents area I have managed to accumulate many files and docs over the years, and obviously thinking in the past I have deleted the certain software or items in this area, I now have the problem in not knowing what the hell many of these are for as they do not show any intelligible info when I right/left click on the files/docs. Is there a free software I can download that will tell me as to what they are so I can rubbish them? Thanks for any help.

MrNewName 09:18 16 Jul 2010

One option may be to sort by extension / file type and google any file type which is unknown to you.

vinnyT 13:27 16 Jul 2010

If you right click a file, chose properties, under the general heading it will tell you the type of file and what program is/was used to open it. From this you should be able to tell if it is of any use to you.

podlod 10:54 17 Jul 2010

Hi, extension/file type, can you please explain more? I have tried right click to files and programs but does not always give you the name of software or file explanation.

MrNewName 21:12 17 Jul 2010

Open my documents and sort files by "file type" - you may have to view their details rather than by icons.

See what name is given to the files you don't recognise - some will have three letters after the file name.

Take for example, MS Word files:

letter.doc

letter.docx

photo.jpg

etc.

podlod 11:23 18 Jul 2010

Hi, well thanks for all your help and I will start to experiment and will return to inform you of my progress, that is if I dont crash my pc!! thank you once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?