howardg 13:02 26 Aug 2006

System:
MB: Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 1.83ghz
RAM: 1GB Crucial DDR 400
OS XP Sp 2
HDD1 Seagate SATA 120gb OS to SATA0
HDD 2 Seagate IDE 200gb to IDE1

I tried to add an additional Seagate HDD (IDE 320gb). to my system. I attached to IDE 3 on the MB to format the drive using Seagate Discwizard (NTFS) . Everything worked fine and I transferred some data from the other drives. I then decided to attach the drive using the slave connector sharing IDE cable from HDD1. As both these HDDs are used for storage the jumper lug was removed from both HDDs.

When I booted up an IDE detection was performed (this does not usually happen during the boot sequence) and then I got the message "Error! Firmware not ready". I have all the latest BIOS and MB/chipset drivers installed. I then attached the 320gb HDD to IDE3 and system boots up but when I attempt to access this drive I get the error dialogue box "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

How can I get the drive to work again without losing any data? Is there anything I can do by tweaking my system or is there software that will definitely work.

Also why did my system fail when I had the drives attached on the same IDE cable.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

ed-0 13:19 26 Aug 2006

" I then decided to attach the drive using the slave connector sharing IDE cable from HDD1. As both these HDDs are used for storage the jumper lug was removed from both HDDs. "

If you take the jumper off both drives, you make both slaves. You need to make the first one master ( on lugs 7 and 8 ) and no jumper on the other one. click here

FelixTCat 13:26 26 Aug 2006

howardg,

When you said "I then decided to attach the drive using the slave connector sharing IDE cable from HDD1", did you mean HDD2, since HDD1 is SATA?

If you have 2 IDE hard drives on the same IDE channel they have to be designated master and slave. That is done by fitting jumpers across contacts on the drives. The position of the jumpers designates the drives, though sometimes the cable itself carries out the designation. HDD1 should be designated master, since you boot from it, thus your new HDD should be designated slave.

When you put the new drive on IDE3 it can be designated master or slave provided that no other drive is attached. It may have been designated master by default, hence it wouldn't work on IDE1.

Regards,

Felix

woodchip 13:36 26 Aug 2006

And If you have a 80 wire IDE cable you can also set both with jumpers to Cable Select

howardg 13:43 26 Aug 2006

Thanks for your replies. Have I corrupted the second drive (320gb) by wrongly assigning the jumper as the dive cannot be recognised as being formatted (it is and has data). What can I do to get the drive to work again.
Cheers

woodchip 13:46 26 Aug 2006

Just taking a jumper off does not corrupt the drive. The partition Info must be wrong

woodchip 13:48 26 Aug 2006

PS If you have a Floppy drive, You could download and run Testdisk to retrieve the Partition click here there are two versions Windows and DOS

woodchip 13:53 26 Aug 2006

For a NTFS partition click here

howardg 14:07 26 Aug 2006

Ive downloaded the first test disk it seems to cover NTFS and its running looking for partitions.

I'll keep you posted
thanks

DieSse 14:17 26 Aug 2006

If you swap cables without first switching off at the mains - you can damage hard drives. Simply closing the system down is not enough.

howardg 16:05 26 Aug 2006

Testdisk has finished scanning the drive and has come up with the message: the Hardisk 320/298 seems to small and the following partition cant be recovered but this is in nonsense code.
Any ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?