Do you think this is a good deal?

GileyD 19:11 06 Mar 2006

My firm has brought in the Home Computing Initiative whereby staff can buy IT equipment at discounted prices.

I can get a new desktop PC with the following spec for £758 interest-free over 3 years, apparently retail this package would cost £1,159.

The main reason I want a fairly powerful pc is for video-editing, I don't play games etc.

Do you think this is a good deal and how future-proof do you think it is?

Thanks

Specification
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 920 Dual core 2 x 2.80 GHz
1 GB DDR2-SDRAM
360 GB (200 GB + 160 GB) SATA hard drive (-6GB sys recovery)
ATI RADEON X1300 PRO 256 MB video memory
DVD drive 16x max
DVD writer Double Layer ±R/±RW 16x/8x max
10/100BT network interface
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
HP VS17 17” TFT LCD Monitor with integrated speakers
IEEE 1394 FireWire® Interface and 9 in 1 card reader
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Microsoft® Works Suite 2005
3 years Antivirus (updates/upgrades) and Parental Control Software
Std 3 years collect and return warranty

Pineman100 19:21 06 Mar 2006

The spec looks OK for the money. I'm not into video editing, so I don't know whether there's software available to take advantage of your dual core processor, but you've certainly got plenty of HDD capacity for that job.
Are you allowed by your company to tweak the spec? If so, I would try to get an on-site warranty, rather than RTB.
Whose antivirus software is it preloaded with?
The only other thing to question is the built-in speakers and the fact that the spec doesn't seem to include a sound card (so sound is probably on-board). If good surround sound is important to you, then a high spec sound card with 5.1 speaker setup would be much better.

GileyD 19:25 06 Mar 2006

Thanks Pineman. I don't know what anti-virus software it comes with and as regards sound I'm not too fussed as I won't be gaming or watching dvd's on it (I have a home cinema systen connected to my tv / dvd player).

No option to tweak unfortunately.

What is the advantage of a dual-core processor, just the fact it's faster?

anskyber 19:35 06 Mar 2006

click here Click on Dual Core demo for the answers. Basically in the short term nothing special but it is the future as software houses dvelop programmes for dual and multi core systems. Vista for example will need dual core so it seems to get the very full benefit of what will be on offer.

SG Atlantis® 19:35 06 Mar 2006

Dual core is like having two processors, do double the work at the same time!

The spec is a bargain at that price, honestly.

....Can I ask:
I'm not familiar with these initiatives, who made the machine and who's the warranty with?

Mr Mistoffelees 19:36 06 Mar 2006

A passable spec for the money at £758, but very poor for the claimed full price. The graphics card is very low spec and it really should have proper speakers.

GileyD 20:18 06 Mar 2006

SG Atlantis - the machine is a Hewlett Packard and the warranty is with them as well.

SG Atlantis® 20:29 06 Mar 2006

click here

This Compaq, which is also owned by HP is comparable to the one your being offered. The three year warranty adds a bit of value to your deal aswell.

As I said it's a pretty good deal your getting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017