Do you still have 56kers in mind?

powerless 22:23 25 Sep 2005

With BB and every ISP offering faster and faster speeds every second do you still think of the lonely 56ker? [unless there are less BB connections that 56K?]

I've just had a slight shock in that I'm working on a new layout which is more image based [more colour too] and decided to have a peek at the expected loading time at various speeds in Frontpage.

28.8k - 1:07

56k - 00:36

256k - 00:07

512K - 00:03

1M - - 00:01:

My current site at 56k is rated at: 00:12

Now I'm OK with that myself but what say you?

Taran 22:58 25 Sep 2005

Personally I have a 10 second cutoff.

Aside from the amount of research that shows the extremely short attention span most website visitors will have, I just thinnk it's bad form to put anything online that people have to sit and wait for.

Give me a fast, slick looking site any day of the week and yes, I do take 56k into account when producing work for clients - you have to otherwise you alienate the majority of web users, which is never the best of plans.

RobGoldfish 02:05 26 Sep 2005

Hi,
Twelve seconds is ok, I always try to keep my own pages loading time to a minimum, as I hate waiting ages for a page to load and then find it has a fancy flash logo of a couple of hundred k.

There are still a lot of us 56k users about and I think more thought should be given to us, broadband makes web designers lazy, often if you check a slow loading page you will find the images have not been optimised for the web.
Rob. :)

mco 16:23 26 Sep 2005

is there anywhere you can check your loading time?

mco 19:02 26 Sep 2005

ok I've found one....now I have to speed up my 56 k loading time.....

Taran 22:16 26 Sep 2005

Try WebSlower click here which is a nice little freebie program that emulates different bandwidth speeds. It 'serves' your web pages as though you were downloading them through whatever speed connection you select in the program options.

Dreamweaver, FrontPage and several other web authoring programs will give you a visible estimate on page load/modem speed ratios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?