Do you ever shut down your computer??

YinHoNg 12:00 26 Sep 2004

Is it just me or do you find that you actually leave your computer on day and night to do whatever it is we do?

I just realised how much electricity this uses!

Meshuga 12:10 26 Sep 2004

mine on when I want to use it and turn it off when finished. It`s never on all night unless I am downloading a large program. Meshuga.

scooby43 12:12 26 Sep 2004

I also wonder do comps use much Electricity I have a 425 wat psu?

sidecar sid 12:14 26 Sep 2004

This question has often been a source of debate on the forum.As i stated in this thread click here mine are only left on when there needed.

JayDay 12:19 26 Sep 2004

I have seen this debated many times. No one can give a definitive answer. Some suggest that turning on and off the PC is more damaging than leaving it on all the time.

I think it boils down to do want to pay for the electricity?

€dstowe 12:23 26 Sep 2004

My company insurers insist that my computers are switched off at night.

spuds 13:17 26 Sep 2004

My computer's are shutdown after use, including all add-on devices. As per €dstowe, insurance terms and conditions re possible fire risk. Other people insist that there is a minimal or none chance of a fire risk, but the insurance company overrule this.

Magik ®© 13:20 26 Sep 2004

mine is left on 24/7, has been on now for about 3 years, mind you, it did get turned off when we went on holiday.......

Stuartli 13:23 26 Sep 2004

I leave mine on during the day and off overnight.

My mate has a retail shop outlet and, for the past few years, his insurance company has refused to provide cover unless electrical equipment such as computers and, more importantly in his case, display TV sets, are switched off at closing time.

Good job that servers aren't required to be switched off at night...:-)

Cook2 13:46 26 Sep 2004

You keep your fridge/freezers on 24/7 and the motors can be between about 100 and 200 Watt. It only uses electricity when actually operating, usually less than 50% of the time. If your computer is idle then no power is being drawn (the fans would hardly break the bank).

I only switch my computer on when I want to use it and goes off when I've finished.

Fire risk? Yes maybe, what happens if the CPU fan stops and it overheats and you have no thermal protection? Better safe than sorry eh?

Cook2 13:46 26 Sep 2004

You keep your fridge/freezers on 24/7 and the motors can be between about 100 and 200 Watt. It only uses electricity when actually operating, usually less than 50% of the time. If your computer is idle then no power is being drawn (the fans would hardly break the bank).

I only switch my computer on when I want to use it and goes off when I've finished.

Fire risk? Yes maybe, what happens if the CPU fan stops and it overheats and you have no thermal protection? Better safe than sorry eh?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone