Do you bother with Windows Defender?

Halmer 10:46 09 Jun 2008

I'm trying to minimise the number of programs that load at start up and notice that one is WD. I've read that this is fairly heavy on resources too.

I've also read that it's not that effective (I can't recall it ever actually 'catching' anything on either of my PCs).

Given that the new AVG 8 seems to do a similar 'real time' job on spyware now I'm wondering whether to disable it or even uninstall it all together.

What do people think?

provider 2 11:01 09 Jun 2008

Relentlessly average. It`s the only real-time spyware scanner I have, though, but in two years it has found and stopped zilch.

click here

hiwatt 11:01 09 Jun 2008

It's the only real time anti spyware program on my girlfriends vista computer and it's prevented anything from getting on there so far.Every time I scan with all the on demand scanners there's never anything there.So it must be doing it's job.

brundle 11:11 09 Jun 2008

It can act as a useful `startup change` notifier, but I generally disable the daily-scanner and run it manually once in a while. The Software Explorer element is also surprisingly useful.
Check "Changes made to your computer by software that is allowed to run" (click here), then run a scan if anything suspicious shows up.

chances are it works behind your av so it will find very little most av programs detect spyware, and most anti spyware programs detect virus and most other malware. as brundle says it watches for changes in system and like most microsoft programs runs fairly un noticed. i personaly dont bother with it as i think it's not needed. i have never found anything on my pc's but harmless cookies which as easily wiped away with ccleaner.
following the advances of security programs developing and becoming more 'multi tasked' i think these days layered security seems to cause more conflicts and is less and less needed.

birdface 11:23 09 Jun 2008

Waste of time.I deleted it a couple of years ago did nothing and found nothing.it was getting a very bad write up in those days.About 50% liked it and 50% didn't.To me a bad average.Maybe it has improved a bit since then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 09 Jun 2008

I have it and use it although it really is superseded by Superantispyware.

Halmer 11:26 09 Jun 2008

version of SAS Fruit Bat?

sunny staines 12:24 09 Jun 2008

it runs in the background in vista, never comes to notice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:26 09 Jun 2008

No thats why I still use WD as a real time scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone