Do these PC Parts look okay for a new gaming rig?

MJC8917 16:27 15 Jun 2012

Hi guys,

I'm putting together my first gaming PC and I'd like some feedback on the parts that I've selected. I've never built a PC myself before, so apologies if I'm not very up to speed. The PC will be used primarily for gaming, 3d modelling/sculpting and rendering.

Here are the components that I've selected.

Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series Mid Tower Case

CPU: Intel CPU Core i7 2600K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS V GENE Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 670 FTW NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB

Storage: 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D SATA III - 6Gb/s Hard Drive - HDD

Disc Drive: Sony Optical DVD-ROM, DDU1681S-0B, SATA, OEM

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CMPSU-750TXV2UK 750W Power Supply (PSU)

Processor Cooling: Corsair H80 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

SSD: 240GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 Series SATA III - 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

KRONOS the First 16:36 15 Jun 2012

Do not forget to add a tube of thermal paste to your list.

You could certainly drop your PSU if you were looking to save a few quid. Apart from that a very nice list of components.

MJC8917 16:42 15 Jun 2012

Ah knew I'd forget something! Thanks Chronos :)

retep888™ 17:35 15 Jun 2012

Just a few questions:

1. Why stick with the SandyBridge when you can have the IvyBridge?

2. A micro Atx motherboard in a biggish tower? I know the Gene is good but lack of connection slot & space is cramp ,you might have problem fitting big card in because the Rams might be in the place.

3. Why have just an optical dvd-rom when you can have a dvd-rw for roughly the same money?

4. The Corsair comes with a thermal tape on the metal cooling plate already so buying a tube of thermal paste could be a waste. ( might be a good idea just in case you needed to refit it again) ;)

MJC8917 18:10 15 Jun 2012

Thanks retep! :)

I was originally going to go for the new ivy bridge processor, but a friend recommended I go for the latest sandy bridge instead as there wasn't much difference, and it also gets a lot hotter than the sandy bridge too I hear.

Is there much difference in ATX and Micro ATX motherboards? The case is definitely compatible with Micro ATX. And both the Graphics card and the motherboard have a PCIe 3.0 (x16) interface. Should that be okay?

Ah yeah good point about the DVD drive. I'll have another look - thanks.

Ah nice one, thanks for letting me know. Yeah I'll buy some anyway in case I need it in the future.

Cheers :)

retep888™ 02:58 16 Jun 2012

and it also gets a lot hotter than the sandy bridge too I hear.

Only when you're over clocking it but isn't it why you're getting the Corsair H80 Hydro? If you're using an IvyBridge ready mobo i.e. Z68 then I'd recommend a SandyBridge however you're getting a brand new Z77 then Ivy is the one to go for.

The SandyBridge is a good gaming CPU, no doubt about it, but you're doing 3d modelling/sculpting and rendering as well ,therefore IvyBridge I'd say.

Is there much difference in ATX and Micro ATX motherboards? Yes, size is one & features is another. I know your tower is compatible with micro boards but ATX is the one to go for because it's bigger & has more expansion slots & connectors are well placed .

And both the Graphics card and the motherboard have a PCIe 3.0 (x16) interface. Should that be okay?

Not until IvyBridge processors are put into the motherboard will the Graphic card utilize PCI-Express 3.0 capabilities, therefore your Graphic card might work under pci-e 2.0 with the SandyBridge although you may not notice the performance difference.

MJC8917 11:51 16 Jun 2012

Nice one thanks retep - I'll go for the ivy bridge then :)

For the mobo, is the maximux V Gene Z77 available in ATX form factor? I've searched on a lot of different sites but all I can find is the micro ATX ones.

Although, I was searching on Scan before and I found this one which looks really nice: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z77-ws-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-pcie-30-(x16)-atx

I know it's a bit pricy, but I'm still within budget so it's okay. :)

Cool, thanks for you help with the processor. I'll go with the ivy bridge one now. Cheers!

retep888™ 01:39 17 Jun 2012

For the mobo, is the maximux V Gene Z77 available in ATX form factor?

The Gene is only in mATX however you can have Maximus V Formula click here when it becomes available here but the price will be in the region of £300 plus you'll need a full tower because the form factor is eATX.

The Asus P8Z77 WS Intel Z77 is good if not a little bit overkill, this Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 click here will serve you well & a lot cheaper but if you have a big budget & prefer good looks then wait for the Maximus V Formula.

MJC8917 10:15 17 Jun 2012

Brilliant! I'll go with the PRO one you suggested - thanks retep :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie