do new pc's come with o.s disc

mrwoowoo 13:35 31 Jul 2007

Thinking of buying a new gaming pc and were wondering if they came with a vista oem disc.
They seem to usually advertise pc's as vista preinstalled,so does this mean no oem disc comes with them?

ventanas 13:38 31 Jul 2007

Both my laptop and desktop came with a full set of discs (dvd for Vista and cd's for drivers etc)

Both from Dell, other makes will possibly be different.

mrwoowoo 13:59 31 Jul 2007

Thanks ventanas,it's just that i reformat every 6 months or so as i install and uninstall lots of games etc.
My best bet is to make sure it comes with an oem disc before i buy it.

stylehurst 14:03 31 Jul 2007

Depends on individual manufacturers.
To be absolutly certain why not purchase a machine with no operating system installed & at the same time purchase an OEM version of Vista.
This is the procedure I always adopt with Novatech.

[email protected] 14:05 31 Jul 2007

if it comes with a recovery partition, theres no difference really just burn o/s to cd, my old compac nagged the hell out of my until i made recovery disks, fully formatted and reinstalled three times without a problem

Batch 14:54 31 Jul 2007

Even if you don't have OS disks or a recovery partition, just get something like Acronis True Image and create an image which you can restore in a matter of minutes. Ideally put the OS & programs on a separate partition so that the image created is compact and you can restore it without disturbing your data.

mrwoowoo 21:39 31 Jul 2007

Thanks for your replys.I think i will get one without an operating system and purchase an oem disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?