Do my problems come from windows updates?

hatrickj 07:06 10 Apr 2004

Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package
Internet Explorer Navigation Sound Update
Windows Critical Update Notification 4.
816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) I have a agateway 500 with 128MB RAM with 98SE The other night I installed the Windows updates listed above. Since then I have had slow boot up, boot ups hanging so long that I've ended up switching off at the base unit. This morning it went through all the housekeeping so that I thought It's ready for me to work on and it closed down and did a complete reboot of own accord. This morning my internet account settings changed from use any connection to LAN, likewise without input from me.

Do you think that any of the updates are causing the problems and if so which and is there an easy way to uninstall? Thanks

howard60 07:42 10 Apr 2004

something has upset your system - assuming it is not a virus infection - if you have me or xp try system restore to go back to before you updated.

Satmansq 07:58 10 Apr 2004

If system restore does cure your problem, try to install the win updates 1 at a time to see if you can identify the cause of the problem

Indigo 1 09:54 10 Apr 2004

Alternatively try BigFix from click here it's free to download and use and only installs the necessary updates relevant to your system.

I had similar problems with Windows Auto Update so I tried Bigfix, I would never trust Microsoft Auto Update again, I have been using Bigfix for a couple of years and has never caused problems or downloaded anything that has caused your symptoms.

carper 10:28 10 Apr 2004

I had a lot of problems with updates. I then did them using the free Microsoft disc and things have been fine since

Stuartli 15:44 10 Apr 2004

Check this MS link:

click here;en-us;816093&Product=w98

There was one recent update that did cause problems and an update was issued to correct the update..:-)

Not sure if this was the particular one.

Most HotFixs are listed in Add/Remove Programs (at least in XP) so it may be worth seeing if it is listed and then deleting it.

Stuartli 15:45 10 Apr 2004

I am aware you are using 98SE - just can't recall if HotFix updates are also included in that OS's Add/Remove.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?