Do modems need surge protection from a phone line

mec13 16:13 17 Aug 2006

My Computer, and all external accessories are plugged into a mains 'surge protected' extension lead. My internal dail-up modem is plugged directly from the main phone socket.

I know there are mains surge protectors with telephone plugs, but are they really neccessary, by that I mean the phone line surge protection part. It's something that has bothered me in these days of thunder storms and lighting, which I presume is one of the main reason for these mains surge protectors.

In our area you don't see any overhead telephone cabling, so if lighting did strike one, surely telephone exchages would have built in protection before reaching individual homes etc.

namtas 16:28 17 Aug 2006

There is only sure way to save possible expense, loosing all your data and the time consuming restoring. And that is to unplug everything from the sockets at any time you are expecting lighting. Do the same if you are going to be away from home especially if it is the time of the year when we might expect lightning.

Any piece of cable can be become inductive during a lighting storm and damage any PC connected.

oldal 16:38 17 Aug 2006

IMHO protection is highly recommended. If you think about it you are "downstream" from the exchange so nothing installed there will protect you.
As namtas says any cablng connected to your modem, however remote could cause you problems.
Protect it or unplug it !!

namtas 17:28 17 Aug 2006

I believe that a lot of PC users place a fairly heavy reliance on having a surge suppressor in line and they feel confident in the protection this provides, Perhaps because of guarentees given but also that some manufactures offer to replace the unit and any posibly connected equipment. I wont go into the advantage of marketing a device and giving such a undertaken but it probably on balance is worthwhile them doing this. I would support the use of such a device for surge protection, but I would need to be convinced of their benifit from a lightning strike. A UPS with surge suppressor is likely to give much more protection under these circumstances.

Stuartli 17:50 17 Aug 2006

Just unplug the modem cable from the telephone socket or phone extension lead and keep it away from the area.

Wise to also switch off and unplug the computer system.

Graham. 18:03 17 Aug 2006

Telephone exchanges do indeed have protection against lightning strikes. But they protect the exchange, not the lines.

These used to consist of two small carbon plates, with an insulating film which would break down when a line was struck. We would gather at the MDF to watch the flashes.

Giggle n' Bits 21:26 17 Aug 2006

is better than having none.
Masterplug 6way from Argos has the Telepone protection & also with RJ11 as well for Broadband. These come with a £2000 conected equipment bond and 3 year warranty also.
click here

mec13 00:56 18 Aug 2006

All your response to my question are welcomed, but I must be honest the television areal was the only concern during thunderstorms,the phone line though never seemed to be any concern. I don't know anyone who actually unpluged their phone line during thunderstorms.

Of course computers connected to the internet with their delicate systems seemed to bring to life these 'surge protectors'. But what about house phones, fax machines, answer machines etc, surge protection, didn't seem to matter so much for them a few years ago.

Like most of you say though, be safe and unplug, the phone in our house I would not miss, my beloved computer though must not fail me. Thanks.

namtas 15:57 24 Aug 2006

But of course if you are on a dial up modem (does anyone still have them) then a hit on the telephone is straight into the PC via the modem.

namtas 15:59 24 Aug 2006

Nite~Lite

a £2000 conected equipment bond.. Do you ever hear of anyone succesfull claiming on this.?

Stuartli 16:09 24 Aug 2006

Might just prove that the equipment does its job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?