Do laptops purchased in US recharge here?

gloonash 18:05 25 Nov 2007

My husband is off to the states next spring and I have seen a better selection of tablet pcs on offer there (and much better prices!).
Is it feasible to bring one back or not? I am concerned about recharging.

woodchip 18:09 25 Nov 2007

Most Mains Laptop Adapters are multi Volts. But you should check first. As I think US is on 110volts

gloonash 18:19 25 Nov 2007

Thanks woodchip - you have made my day. I will be checking with the US websites before he leaves!

ambra4 18:48 25 Nov 2007

You should not have any problems with buying a tablet pc in the US and using in the UK, as all laptop Computers use a 100-240 volts power supply the only difference is the electrical plug in the difference country.

You will have to purchase an American 3-Pin to UK 3-Pin Mains Power Adaptor Converter

click here

Coffee Adict 18:48 25 Nov 2007

Just one small note, don't expect any warranty backup if it goes wrong.

gloonash 19:13 25 Nov 2007

thanks Coffee Addict I hadn't thought about that - things I buy usually break a couple of months after the warranty runs out!!
Thanks for the link Ambra I have added it to my favourites in case I decide to risk the warranty issues - which I have to admit is probably the case because I can't see anything that has the features at a comparable price!!

octal 19:18 25 Nov 2007

It's worth asking about the warranty because there are a lot of companies that offer world wide warranties, Olympus is one, we asked when we bought a camera in the US this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?