do ineed 3 firewalls

chapeau 22:24 04 Feb 2008

I have wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have two computers connected each with MS windows firewalls. Do I need all three switched on ? I ask because I am having troubles with connections to some sites it requiring two or three clicks before a connection is made,with error messages appearing in between the clicks.

sinbads 22:30 04 Feb 2008

I dont use any firewall except the one built into my router which protects all my pc's; however you could try switching them off to see iff your firewall is preventing your connection to various sites.... you could try lowering your mtu value that may improve your connections

i too only use router firewall with no problems.

Stuartli 23:26 04 Feb 2008

I have a modem router with a built-in firewall - I also use ZoneAlarm (free) without any problems.

I always disable the Windows firewall of whatever flavour.

Migwell 23:43 04 Feb 2008

The windows firewall is next to useless, it is not worth bothering with. I, like Stuartli use Zone alarm as an addition to the firewall in my router and I have no problems surfing the net.

bluto1 23:48 04 Feb 2008

I must be lucky. Since I updated to XP all I've used for a firewall is Windows firewall. I'd say it depends largely on what your PC is used for. For instance I do not play games or download music, but I do download other items. I'm probably still lucky.

Totally-braindead 23:57 04 Feb 2008

I don't really know if you need a firewall or not. I do know some people who either don't use one or use windows built in one which is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Now having said that I do use one, the Zone Alarm one. It might not be neccessary but it does no harm and doesn't slow my connection down so I use it.

If you think that the connection problems might be caused by conflicts between the firewalls and this can happen then just disable the software ones and use the hardware one and see if it makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?