Do i realy have to pay £1000+ to play games

furrytauntaun 08:36 04 Sep 2006

HI all, just looking on a Dell as getting a new PC from them soon and was wondering if like the title says i have to pay £1000+ for a good PC to play games on, surely it is possible to make one up for under £700 by adding upgrades in speed and memory to one of there other desktops. As i know little about graphics cards though i thought i would ask here. Any help would be great.

lisa02 09:50 04 Sep 2006

If you are going to count fps and stuff like that then you will however most people play games with budget cards (mainstream) that's the most profitable sector of the market for card makers!

click here see this one from novatech choose the 3800 and it's £549 inc VAT for the system and OS. That leaves you to buy a monitor with your £150 left over from you £700 budget.

nForcer 3800

AMD Athlon X2 3800 Dual Core 64 Bit Processor
1024MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR Ram
250GB Serial ATA II HardDrive
nVidia 7600GS 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card
16x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner
7.1 8-Channel Capable Sound
1 x Gigabit LAN
Logitech Wireless Optical Keyboard & Mouse

Kate B 12:42 04 Sep 2006

Good graphics cards are expensive but there are plenty of mid-range graphics cards that are less wallet-busting. But yeah, if I were looking for a machine that would cope with games I'd be spending around a grand. It's no fun playing a game at low framerates on a low res with detail turned right down - I think a good chunk of the pleasure of games comes from what they look like as well as how they play.

Strawballs 12:43 04 Sep 2006

If all you want to do is play games then get an X-Box 360 and a cheaper PC for less.

furrytauntaun 12:57 04 Sep 2006

Good info and thanks a lot, i will be looking at one from Novatech as i need a machine thats fast and has a lot of memory as i do a lot on paint shop pro and burn dvds for back up, but would also like to play the odd game, hence a x box would not be any good as the choice of games is rubbish compared to whats out there on the pc, but thanks for all the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?