do I really need a ATI 9600 Graphics card?

flyn 09:21 05 Feb 2004

Hi, am extremely IT inept so I would apreciate any help coming my way! I am wondering if the ATI 9600 graphics card is a superfluous, and if I can get away with a less powerful graphics card.

I am getting a new computer as I need to process and manipulate and edit images which are taken from a microscope. (pictures of cells) My lab uses Corel.

I am worried about being conned into paying for something I do not need!

drcmunro 10:29 05 Feb 2004

It all depends what you want to do with it. It sounds like you mainly want to do 2D work - the radeon 9600 you mention would certainly do this but it would be overkill. Any graphics card on the market these days will handle 2D no problem.

If you fancy playing arcade games or using your computer as a media center (i.e. watching/recording tv then a high powered card like the one you mention would be a must.

seancblack 10:47 05 Feb 2004

Flyn, The 9600 pro is ideal for video editing and playing games, however from what you are going to use it for, I would agree with drcmunro in the overkill factor on 2D images. Dont upgrade unless you intend to run more Graphically intensive applications as you are just wasting money otherwise.

Gemma 11:06 05 Feb 2004

Agreed, you certainly do not need a "gamers" card.
Do you know what the definition of the microscopy images are and what is the colour depth? It will be found with the 'scope and video capture manuals and say something like 800 x 600 pixels and 16 bit colour depth. If you can't find it then go for a branded 128Mb memory card with an AGP interface that will match the one in the PC. It will be less than half the price of the ATI 9600.
You should check that the monitor offered meets your needs too.

flyn 11:38 06 Feb 2004

Thanks for all your help. Points duly noted!

However My dad has decided to get it anyway. BUt I might exchange it for a less explosive card!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?