Do I pay to use WiiFi on a lap top?

sheila.weston 15:38 19 Dec 2008

Not sure if this is the correct phraseology!

I wish to buy a laptop which my husband can use elsewhere in the house and understand that I need a wireless router. My ISP is tiscali broadband. Am I charged extra if I have a router etc? Is it expensive to run? I have read several items about routers, but they all start above my level of knowledge!

Any suggestions about makes welcome. He will use the laptop for emails and wordprocessing, mainly.

Sheila

alB 15:51 19 Dec 2008

There is no extra charge for using a router, all you are doing is changing your broadband connection to a wireless setup, if you phone Tiscali and tell them you want to go wireless, ask them if you can have a router, they may want you to extend your current deal but they should send you one free of charge, setup is easy, just follow the supplied instructions and you will be up and runnning in no time ...alB

sheila.weston 22:56 19 Dec 2008

Many thanks, alB-just what I wanted to know.

sheila.weston 17:29 20 Dec 2008

I have been re-reading the item about routers in last month's PC Advisor and didn't realise that there are so many different types. Does it depend on what software is in the laptop?

Also. My desktop computer doesn't need any special software, does it? If so, I will have to forget the idea until I replace it. Pity.

But thank you for your help.

Switcher 18:02 20 Dec 2008

The router/modem is usually placed near the desktop and the desktop PC connected to it by cable. The laptop may have a wireless adaptor already fitted internally if not a usb adaptor or a pcmcia card adapter can be bought for about £20
any software required will come with the router and wireless adaptor.

sheila.weston 20:17 20 Dec 2008

Many thanks, Switcher. That is OK then. No, the five year old mesh pc almost certainly hasn't a wireless adaptor fitted inside.

My pc technician fixed me up with a Dynamode-ADSL-C4-2 box so that I can use the laptop at the other side of the room. But it is really surplus to requirements as the very old and slow laptop is only used when the desktop breaks down.

I can see the way forward now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?