Do I need widescreen to futureproof?

queenmidas 11:32 28 Aug 2004

I want to buy a laptop. As I look at Computer web sites (on my CRT monitor) I notice I usually have to scroll from left to right to read it, which irritates me. Are web sites now being designed to fit widescreen. I don't want a widescreen - not interested in games/films, but if I buy a 15" screen will I be stuck with schrolling on every web site in the future? Thanks.

VoG II 12:08 28 Aug 2004

You can change how websites appear by changing your monitor's resolution. I would guess that you are on 800 x 600. Try changing to 1024 x 768.

Right click desktop, Properties, Settings tab.

cga 12:32 28 Aug 2004

I know that VoG™ implied this in his append but, just to clarify, the physical size of the screen does not determine what is displayed - only how easy it is to read.

queenmidas 12:59 28 Aug 2004

Thanks. Yes I am at 800 x 600 which until recently has been fine, that is, no side to side scrolling has been necesary. Trouble is, if I change the resolution, then the text would be smaller and I'd be straining to read it I think!

queenmidas 13:01 28 Aug 2004

Thanks. Yes I am at 800 x 600 which until recently has been fine, that is, no side to side scrolling has been necesary. Trouble is, if I change the resolution, then the text would be smaller and I'd be straining to read it I think! I just thought perhaps people were designing sites a different width?

Mister Splendid©®™! 13:39 28 Aug 2004

Unless you mainly use your pc/laptop for dvd viewing I find it hard to see the point of widescreen displays. Most, if not all, software for pcs, including games, is designed around the standard 4x3 layout. So why buy a display that is not 4x3?

Djohn 16:36 28 Aug 2004

Raising the resolution will allow you fit more on the screen but at a smaller size. You will need to try different settings to see which suit you best.

A good starting point for a CRT monitor at 17" display will be 1024x768 If you can read this with comfort then move up another setting or two but remember although you will fit far more on the screen it will be smaller. If 1024x768 is too small then lower your resolution to 800x600 this will make everything larger and easier to read but you will fit less on the screen and may need to scroll from side to side as well as more scrolling in the vertical plain.

TFT monitors are different again and always look best at their native resolution. 17" TFT will have a native resolution of 1280x1024 the display will be razor sharp and you will fit any web page on the screen without horizontal scrolling and very little vertical scrolling but it will be on the small side, moving away from the native resolution to say, 1024x768 will make everything appear larger but the display will deteriorate.

katswhiskers 10:16 30 Aug 2004

(Note - I am queenmidas, but could not sign in as she so had to register as katswhiskers). I am wondering if, in the 'future', sites will cease to be designed 4 x 3 and 'all' of them will be designed for a wider screen. If this might be so, then should I get a widescreen now? (even tho I don't particularly like them). Take television, for example, eventually they will all be widescreen. Do you think that will happen with computers? Thanks.

cga 10:30 30 Aug 2004

No - I think you are missing the point in the answers. The amount you can get on the screen is decided by you screen resolution and not the physical size. Most web applications today assume that you are running at a minimum resolution of 1024x768. If you set you existing screen to that then you will have the same amount on the screen at one time as most people.

As screen technology improves, so do resolutions but 1024x768 is the base norm today.

Once you have set your screen to that then you have to decide on a screen size that is comfortable to read.

The point that other members have made is that Flat screens all have a resolution at which they perform best. Use this and you will get a clearer image allowing you to read it better even if it is smaller.

katswhiskers 11:01 31 Aug 2004

cga - OK thanks for that. I'm being a bit thick here!
Katswhiskers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?