Do I need a USB adaptor if I have ethernet?

kidneybean67 23:30 05 Feb 2008

I have an Acer Aspire 5720 laptop (Vista) and want to go wireless, if I have an ethernet cable running to my existing modem, do I just take that out and simply plug it into the wireless hub or do I need a USB adaptor....? (have not purchased a wireless modem yet as I don't know which one to get for the best!)
Arrrgh so confused!!!

ambra4 00:34 06 Feb 2008

Acer Aspire 5720 laptop Should have a build in wireless card

Check Start-Setting-Network Connection

ambra4 00:38 06 Feb 2008

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you

to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with

a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable from inside the Network Connection

Area Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or

Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless

kidneybean67 10:05 06 Feb 2008

thanks, so once i've found out if I have the built in wireless card and have obtained a wireless hub is that all I need, i'm still not sure whether I need a 'usb adaptor/dongle'?

ambra4 10:23 06 Feb 2008

You only need a USB wireless adapter if the computer do not have a wireless card installed

99% of all present day laptop come with a wireless card installed

If you want to make a desktop wireless than you will need a USB adapter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017