Do I need a software firewall?

donmar 15:19 01 Oct 2007

Hi Group

I have Vista and AOL 9VR.I have a Netgear Modem Router and WPA security.

Do I need a software firewall as well?

Windows firewall will not work with AOL Vista.

Thank you

Don

well i have a router (netgear) and was wondering the same thing..i have been onto a few firewall test sites(shields up for 1) ie port scans etc and my computer came up secure with software firewall off and router hardware firewall on so is it safe? i dunno.. lets hope we get a bit more input from others hypno.. kind regards akanic

Al94 15:49 01 Oct 2007

Router firewall is sufficient.

P1d 15:56 01 Oct 2007

The hardware firewalls are ok for stopping incoming nasties onto your pc, but I would recommend a software firewall to minimise anything getting from your pc. Personally I use ZoneAlarm Free which is available if you click here and haven't had any issues, there are others out there though.

I hope this helps.

dth 16:01 01 Oct 2007

yes & no

Your router should do a good job of keeping the bad chaps out. A software firewall would give you protection for problems coming from your p/c - so if for example you inadvertently installed a dodgy bit of software (that wasn't picked up by an a/v program) that could send out whatever. This wouldn't be picked up by the router firewall as it would be seen as a legitimate request from your p/c.

The firewall with Vista does include an onward board facility but this isn't activated by default and to be honest you would need to be a nuclear scientist to configure it correctly.

In summary if you are a sensible p/c user you should be fine with your router firewall.

donmar 16:37 01 Oct 2007

Thank you all very much. Am trying ZA now and apart from slowing down access to the net it seems ok.

I am very grateful for your help.

Don

woodchip 16:40 01 Oct 2007

I use a 3Com Router not used a Software firewall for years

jimv7 19:19 01 Oct 2007
  woodchip 19:27 01 Oct 2007

Yes to me GANDALF <|:-)> makes a lot of sense on that link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?