Do I need a router for wi-fi

skitso 21:44 22 Nov 2007

Hi all,
I am new to all this computer stuff. I recently bought an Acer 5720 (product code LX.AHE0X.161)and it has wi-fi.
Do I need to buy some sort of equipment to access the internet or is this what the wi-fi does? Have tried connecting and it comes up saying connected but I cannot get an internet page. Getting Windows cannot display. I am using friends pc to write to you.
Would much appreciate any help.
Skitso

skitso 22:54 22 Nov 2007

Please help,

I have already posted. I am not impatient just annoyed i cant get this thing to work.
How do I use the wifi, do i need any other equipment other than the laptop?

Sorry

Tim1964 23:37 22 Nov 2007

Do you have an account with an ISP, either BB or dial up????

You will need a wireless router with a modem in it (these can be connected by ethernet cable also)unless the ISP is Virgin then you will need a wireless router to connect to their supplied modem.

As the laptop is saying "it's connected...." this could be the wireless card is 'seeing' a neighbours WIFI connection which you should not be able to connect to unless this is an unsecured connection.

Could you post more details of the ISP and what modem or modem/router they have supplied?

skitso 00:09 23 Nov 2007

Thanks Tim,

I have no ISP or modem or router. Does this mean I have to get internet installed in my home and then what would I need to get wireless connection? Told you I knew nothing, I though wi-fi meant you could just connect anywhere. Silly me

Skitso

Acx 00:22 23 Nov 2007

You need a wifi router connected to your phone line, you then get your PC to connect (wirelessly)to your router.

If you have Sky and a phone line they provide a router and wireless broadband.

Graham. 10:19 25 Nov 2007

Out and about, you can use 'Hotspots' to connect to the internet click here

In most places you can buy time, or you can sign up and open an account.

Forum Editor 10:28 25 Nov 2007

is like a radio receiver - it will detect and receive any wireless internet transmission within its range. You can't just connect to any old transmission however, although you may well find that your machine detects other peoples' wireless networks in your vicinity.

These other networks may or may not be secured - they'll require a password - but in any case it's illegal to access someone else's wireless network without consent. That's why you need your own Internet access, and for that you must sign up with an internet service provider (ISP) - preferably for a broadband service. You can connect your computer to this service without the need for a router if you wish, although you won't be able to use it around the house - it will be connected directly to a phone socket microfilter via a modem.

If you want to be able to roam around the house with your laptop and have constant internet access you'll need to buy a wireless router. That will connect to your phone line, and your laptop's wireless adapter will pick up the transmission.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 25 Nov 2007

That will connect to your phone line, and your laptop's wireless adapter will pick up the transmission.

But don't forget to secure it or other people will connect to your system and use the bandwidth you are paying for.

skitso 22:28 28 Nov 2007

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Right we got virgin internet installed today. Got a belkin g router and installed it. Can someone now tell me how it goes wireless? It works when the router cable is plugged into laptop but as soon as it is removed the internet does not work. Wi fi is enabled on laptop and it is picking up other connections but not our own. Can someone please advise.
Also went to pc world and they told us that the router is all we need. No need for other adapters or anything. So why isn't it working.Had to add they said they would send someone out to fix it for £70. So they are basically charging for advice these days.

Thanks in advance

S

Strawballs 00:38 29 Nov 2007
  Strawballs 00:40 29 Nov 2007

Sorry forgot to ask I am assuming Virgin Cable and not ADSL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?