Do i need a router?

haj84 14:59 13 Jan 2006

I want to connect my laptop with my dads PC. I mainly want to use the connection to transfer files but would like to share the broadband internet access as well if possible. I have a network cable, do i need a router? Both use windows XP. is it pretty easy to do?

PaulB2005 15:08 13 Jan 2006

If the network cable is a cross over cable and you have a network port on both PCs then you can use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to achieve this. click here

ade.h 17:44 13 Jan 2006

A word of warning about ICS, based on my own experience.

I had a hell of a time trying to get the ICS internet gateway system to work, and then work consistently.

I was massively relieved when I was able to buy a modem/router and found that it worked easily and reliably after about five minutes' set up work.

I'm not saying that ICS is intrinsically a nightmare, but it appears to have a tendency to be that way! Certainly, there are regular issues with it here in this section.

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:34 13 Jan 2006

just bought a wireless router after using ICS with no problems for over a year (on three pc's). I only switched over to improve the wireless range and to be able to connect my kid's psp's to the web!
Can't say I have any experience of using a wired ICS setup though.

ade.h 19:30 13 Jan 2006

I had to use the RJ45 method. It was very problematic, and the firewalls, which are sometimes at fault, were not to blame in my case. It was just very unreliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?