Do I need to repair windows xp?

virtuathesect 14:16 07 Feb 2007

Hi, I recently built a new system but have transferred my hard drive from my old system (everything else is new). When I boot up I can enter the bios but win xp won't load and the computer resets itself and returns me to the black screen where you can select whether to start in 'safe mode' or 'the last settings that worked', etc. Booting using any of the options including 'safe mode' doesn't work. Could this be some kind of hardware issue as I previously had a floppy disk and 2 x cd roms connected on my old system but they aren't connected to the new system? Or does it mean I need to repair win xp by booting from the win xp cd rom? What do I need to bear in mind if I do this?
Thanks for your help.

Press Man 14:26 07 Feb 2007

It may be that XP on your HDD will not recognise the new Mobo etc. You may need to back up data on HDD and do a clean install of XP?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:27 07 Feb 2007

have transferred my hard drive from my old system

motherboard drivers installed in XP are incorrect for your new system.

1. Put drive back in old PC
2. Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here
3. refit in new system
4. Install motherboard drivers from themotherboard CD

any problems post back

Input Overload 14:28 07 Feb 2007

It is very rare that you can use an old configured Windows on a new mainboard due to the wrong drivers etc. Ideally a clean install is best but I have successfully done repairs in similar situations.

virtuathesect 22:02 11 Feb 2007

Thanks all for your help I decided to go with backing everything up and doing a clean install and windows is and running again.

woodchip 22:17 11 Feb 2007

If you have a Full XP cd you could try starting with that and do a repair. then load new drivers for MOBO etc

Strawballs 22:45 11 Feb 2007

With the drivers for the old MoBo still there will proberbly conflict with new drivers.

Stuartli 01:34 12 Feb 2007

Whenever I have installed a new motherboard whilst retaining the hard drive, I have immediately done an XP Repair from first bootup.

The reason is that XP (Pro in my case) doesn't always "take" to a new motherboard and a Repair overcomes the situation.

After the Repair I update the motherboard drivers etc if necessary from the manufacturer's website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone