Do I need a new battery for my Laptop?

Alissa_m14 09:41 26 Aug 2013

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I think I need to replace my battery for my Dell N5010, because I can't use it anymore without having it on the charger.

Now when I was looking online for a battery, there are so many batteries I can buy and there are big differences between the prices, so how do I know which one I need, which one is good enough? I do have to say, I just use my laptop not proffessional or anything, so I don't really want to spent too much money on it.

Hopefully someone can help me!

Thanks, Alissa

Tonsie 19:34 26 Aug 2013

Alissa have a look at www.laptopsandspares.com a UK firm Regards Tonsie.

alanrwood 19:42 26 Aug 2013

Yes prices vary tremendously between the compatible ones from China and the expensive genuine ones from Dell. From experience the ones from China take about 15 days to arrive if you are lucky (I have waited a month before now)and are not of equivalent quality but do the job for a period of time. I guess it is a case of you get what you pay for. If you go this way then a tip is to remove the battery if you are using it on mains for long period. Only charge it to full if you are going to need to run it on batteries. Some computers do have the facility to limit the charge to 80% which does help preserve the battery in the long term.

Procrastinus 10:39 30 Aug 2013

Perhaps Rick Maybury's excellent article may help the long term life of your new battery - Bootlog

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires