Do I need microsoft office on my new pc?

EVERTON2 17:17 26 Dec 2013

Good evening. I will be buying a new PC in the next few weeks, windows 8 8GB RAM, 2tb Hard Drive. it will be my first PC bought that I will not be using for work also, my boss used to pay for Microsoft Office so I was able to work from home. My question is this: I will only be using the pc for mainly online access, emails internet etc and will have no need to regularly create Word documents, although I would have the need to be able to open any sent to me, and write the odd letter. Do I need to buy, say, Office 2013 Home and Student or similar or will the pc have software on it as standard to enable me to read/create as required?

many thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

martd7 19:26 26 Dec 2013

If you dont wish to purchase MS office you can always try these compatible programs

Open apache office click here Libre office click here

or

morddwyd 19:49 26 Dec 2013

If you have no need for Word documents then don't go to the expense of MS Office. As has been said, there are plenty of free compatible programmes out there.

You might also want to think about ptcking up and older version of Office on Ebay, but beware of scammers selling non-genuine copies.

rdave13 19:55 26 Dec 2013

You could try Office web apps, click here, view the video for tips.

rdave13 20:02 26 Dec 2013

SkyDrive works better from IE11 than from the Start app.

iscanut 21:10 26 Dec 2013

I would recommend Libre office.

EVERTON2 11:28 27 Dec 2013

Many thanks to you all for your advice, it is very much appreciated. Paul

BT 12:11 27 Dec 2013

Depending on the PC you are buying you may well find a Version of MS Office included. My HP laptop came with MS Word and Excel and as long as you can put up with the occasional 'nag' and ad. they are both fully operational. I think they are now including these since they gave up supplying MS Works with Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017