Do I need to keep all Java updates?

Madocmunroe 15:24 04 Feb 2010

I am not particularly au fair with my pc but know it is slow and am trying to get it to speed up - at start up it can take me 10 minutes to access emails and internet. I have looked at removing programmes and have come across various Java(TM) updates - sorry to be a dunce - do I need all of them or can I remove a couple of them - they seem to be taking up lots of MBs! Thank you

GaT7 15:33 04 Feb 2010

What OS are you using & is it a desktop or laptop? Can you tell us the general spec: CPU, RAM & hard drive? And also how much free space the latter has.

How many programs do you have loading at start up?

What security/antivirus programs do you use?

You can try uninstalling Java, then installing the latest click here. G

Madocmunroe 15:41 04 Feb 2010

Thanks for quick response - I will ask husband to provide some of the info, it is running on Windows XP, I have Picasa and Avast is the security bit - we are on broadband. I will come back re: other information required - thanks again!

cocteau48 15:49 04 Feb 2010

You only really need the latest version.
Download and run JavaRa click here

It will remove all the unnecessary previous versions and leave you a report on what it has done. You will be amazed at how much space it frees up.

Madocmunroe 15:55 04 Feb 2010

Thank you - I really appreciate your help - I will try that and fingers crossed! What a great website this is! I now know where to come with future questions................ you Guys are fab! Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?