Do I need Internet Explorer

gudda96 09:48 11 Jul 2006

I have been told by people more advanced than me that FF is much safer than IF. I have both browers but if its true, I would like to stop using IE, which is quite easy I know but I have a question.

I use Hotmail for everything other than friends, to prevent spam but of course it uses the IE browser.

Can I substitute HM with something similar using FF and will I still be able to get my Windows Updates.

VoG II 09:54 11 Jul 2006

If you get click here you can use Firefox for everything but IE will still have to be installed.

Stuartli 10:01 11 Jul 2006

Microsoft offers a Firefox plug-in to obtain Windows Update. See:

click here

Also, if you prefer an alternative method:

click here

Stuartli 10:08 11 Jul 2006

I still retain and keep OE fully updated as there is the odd occasion when FF will not accept downloads from a website.

gudda96 10:33 11 Jul 2006

Thanks to both, this site certainly gives quick answers.

VOG
I appreciate IE will still be installed and lying in prog menu, no problem with that.What and when would I use that download/tab??

Stuartl
That first link gives me a message re Validation, is it supposed to?
The second link, is that a third browser?

And to both, what is Gmail

VoG II 10:44 11 Jul 2006

Once you have installed the IEtab then in Firefox, Tools > IEtab options to set a webpage to open as an IE tab in Firefox.

What is Gmail? click here

If you would like an invite for a Gmail account please contact me by clicking my yellow envelope.

Stuartli 11:18 11 Jul 2006

That first link gives me a message re Validation, is it supposed to?>>

>>The second link, is that a third browser?>>

Yes, you stated you still wished to obtain Windows Updates.

No. It's another method of obtaining Windows Updates using Firefox.

gudda96 15:01 11 Jul 2006

Vog
1-why would I want to open IE when in FF ?

2-re g-mail, does it do the same job as HM and keep spam away from OE and are there any downsides to it,do you use it?

Stuarl

Your first answer applies if/when I want IE,yes.
Second answer,so are you saying I need IE to get windows update

VoG II 15:11 11 Jul 2006

1. So that you can access sites like Windows Update from Firefox rather than having to launch Internet Explorer.

2. I don't get any spam on my Gmail account. The downside is that ad links are attached to messages (similar to the ad links you see on a Google search result page. I very rarely use it.

gudda96 15:27 11 Jul 2006

So that you can access sites like Windows Update from Firefox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So we can update windows from FF but we use that "extension"

I very rarely use it.>>>>>so, like me, if you buy from net and are required to give an e-mail, would you use the g-mail??

VoG II 15:29 11 Jul 2006

So we can update windows from FF but we use that "extension" - Yes.

I very rarely use it.>>>>>so, like me, if you buy from net and are required to give an e-mail, would you use the g-mail?? - No - I always use my blueyonder e-mail address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?