Do I need futher protection/

amyjen7 15:52 23 Dec 2008

I have for months relied on the protection of Windows Security Centre and its Defender and this is regularly updated. Do I really need any additional security software provider by such companies as McAfee, Symantec & AVG? I would love to have your views before splashing out my well earned money. I run Vista Home Premium. Thank you

Kind Regards

Bapou 16:10 23 Dec 2008

Spending money on Security? Perish the thought!

Correct me if I'm wrong - Windows Security Centre consists of a basic firewall and not too brilliant at that. No Anti Virus program.

Defender - Just an antispyware program?

Download three excellent programs for free:

Anti Virus Avast click here

Firewall Zone Alarm click here

Anti Spyware - Malwarebytes click here

These should keep you safe, plus a modicum of common sense in your surfing habits of course.

iscanut 16:10 23 Dec 2008

Most people here tend to think that Microsoft Defender is not very good. There are many good free Antivirus and Antipsyware programs available and there is no need to spend money with those you mention. Do a search of these forums for Antivirus and Antispyware as several members have posted very exhaustive lists of what is available. Also have a look here..all free ! click here

Clapton is God 16:11 23 Dec 2008

If I read your post correctly, your only protection is Defender which is anti-malware - you have absolutely no anti-virus!!

Don't waste your money but install Avast or AVG free anti-virus asap

Kaacee 20:08 23 Dec 2008

Follow Bapou's advise and you will be well protected

wjrt 21:54 23 Dec 2008
  skidzy 22:03 23 Dec 2008

Updated
Safe and Clean Computers 2 click here

Wort

All the information you need is right there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone