Do i need to back up?

pac73 21:44 29 Mar 2007

Ive got a Medion Product Recovery CD Rom.Does this mean i don't need to back up my pc?
I mean,if something does go wrong.I can put the recovery disc in and it will load XP.

bennyhillslovechild 21:48 29 Mar 2007

The recovery CD will basically set your PC back to factory settings. So yes, it would reinstall XP and probably some needed drivers. But backing up is always recommended because the recovery cd will not reinstall any software or drivers you have added since purchasing the machine, and of course, without backup you could lose all your personal data/photographs/emails/bookmarks/documents etc. Trust me - you only have to lose all this just once, to wish you had backed up. I speak from bitter experience.

VoG II 21:50 29 Mar 2007

Back up.

Back up.

Back up.

Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost are about equal in my opinion.

pac73 22:07 29 Mar 2007

Ive just installed Acronis true image 10.What disk do i need to put in?A cdrw or dvdr?

woodchip 22:45 29 Mar 2007

Not unless you are not bothered about losing Photos, Docs or E-Mails etc. What disc do you put in for Acronis. Go to the Start\Programs\Acronis Put a CD in the Drive and choose from Acronis Programs, Create a Rescue disc. This you can use when the Computer will not boot to restore a Image you can create with the same CD that you make. Images that you create as to go on another Partition or Drive or Optical Discs. You can compress a Image for fitting on DVD's

€dstowe 06:32 30 Mar 2007

DO NOT use rewritable disks (CDs and especially not DVDs) for your backups. These things are notorious for failing and you can almost guarantee that if there is anything important on one (like a backup) then that will be the one to fail.

You are best backing up on to a hard drive - either a partition on your current drive or on an additional one - they aren't very expensive now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?