Do I need an additional Firewall?

AngeTheHippy 15:51 26 May 2004

Hi Chaps, My Athlon 2000+ XP PC has Norton AV 2002 and the XP Firewall enabled. Do I need an additional Firewall? Is the XP-included 'man enough..' for the job? Advice please, as I've heard from a few sources now that XP's own f/w isn't that trustworthy.

Thanks lots,

AngeTheHippy
x

ste_bla 15:57 26 May 2004

One in XP w/ Service Pack One is okayish at protecting from incoming attacks however if something got on your system it could send out ANY data without any problems..

Get another on and disable the XP one for the moment as there are some good free ones out there Such as Sysgate - No link but sure someone will paste it...

Basically get another free one or pay for a norton one if you wanna waste money!

ste_bla 15:59 26 May 2004

sygate even and a link for it would be : click here

Belatucadrus 16:11 26 May 2004

XP firewall is only one way and only protects from incoming, which it actually does quite well. However even Microsoft now see this as inadequate and the XP service pack two will address this with a major firewall upgrade.

If you can't wait try one of these click here I happen to prefer Kerio, but Zonealarm and Sygate are both good. Don't bother with Outpost, the supplier dropped the free one in the last few days and the link hasn't been removed yet.

GaT7 17:13 26 May 2004

You may be interested in these Firewall group tests/reviews:

Free: click here

Paid for - some are FREE (& you can try before you buy with most): click here, click here= & click here.

To read more about WinXP's firewall: click here. As Belatucadrus' mentions SP2's firewall should be better. Good luck, G

AngeTheHippy 19:54 28 May 2004

will decide over this weekend which one to choose. I don't really trust XP to do the job on it's own...

AngetheHippy
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?