Do I have a worm?

bda72 10:20 18 May 2004

I have been getting alot of emails with attachments lately, usual heading of Hi and such like. As with all emails with attachments from people I don't know I just delete them.
This morning I got one without an attachment from Mail Delivery System returning my message to sender, I will not post the whole message but this is the first few lines.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host spamassassin.dbn.stormnet.co.za [196.22.196.13]:
550 This message contains malware ( Worm.SomeFool.P)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
------ The body of the message is 41397 characters long; only the first
------ 8192 or so are included here.

The mention of worm.somefool.p is what is worrying me I sue AVG and since these emails have been arriving I have been updating it daily instead of twice weekly as usual. Most of these dodgy emails are from South African addresses, I do have some friends/family in my address book from there and will be in their address book to.

Is the problem a worm/virus on my computer emailing them or is it from there attacking me?

Many thanks for and help resolving this problem.

Barry.

bda72 10:22 18 May 2004

I would like to add that I never have and have no intention of trying to sue AVG but will continue to happliy USE their software.

i've been getting the same emails for the last few days but avast pro picks them up and deletes them.

the email addy's are one i do not recognise .....some are hotmail,aol and some have been .fsnet.co.uk , but as long as avast is picking them up i know i'm safe

sarge

bda72 10:50 18 May 2004

AVG picks up the dodgy emails if they are opened I'm more worried if this worm has some how got on my system and hidden somewhere.

bda72 08:24 19 May 2004

Anybody any ideas about this worm? I just want to know if my system is ok before email everyone we know in South Africa and telling them to check their systems.

bertiecharlie 09:03 19 May 2004

click here for some information. It seems to be another name for Netsky.P. I'll have a further look to see if I can find out some more.

bertiecharlie 09:07 19 May 2004

click here for more information.

curlylad 09:41 19 May 2004

If it is on your system already then you could download and run stinger.You can get it here click here

bda72 00:11 20 May 2004

Ok guys thanks for all the help, I ran the symantec tool for removing all netsky versions and it came up with nothing, then I ran stinger and got

c:\windows\system32\tftp196
found the w32/blaster.worm a virus !!!

and that file was deleted.

Only thing I have to do now is find was of stoping this happening again(would of thought AVG should of picked this up).

Thanks for all the help.

Barry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?