Do I have a virus?

jonmac 23:50 29 Dec 2007

I occasionally receive messages from my ISP as undernoted and feel comforted by the fact that the protection is working, however on this occasion it reports the source as my email address, the exact email address. I have had Spam in the past using my Partial address, i.e. everything after the @ but doers this mean that I have a virus which is sending out emails from my PC?

The message is of the format.....

"You are receiving this mail because you have an active virus-scanning
service, and either a banned file extension or an email containing
a virus has been sent to your address.

The item(s) in question picked up by the service was:

* Phishing.Heuristics.Email.SpoofedDomain

and was sent to you from: (my email address)"

Johnnybee 00:10 30 Dec 2007

Simple answer to your query Jon is no, it isn't.
Spoof is the clue here; someone has sent an e-mail to your address that purports to come from a registered ISP that isn't supported by the IP address attached to it.
Just to be on the safe side, run a scan with your AV and ASW applications in safe mode to ascertain whether you have infected files or not.
If there are some dud ones, your apps. should deal with them; however it would be far better to keep your inbox clear on a daily basis than to have to rely on automatic software to do it for you.
JB.

p;3 00:41 30 Dec 2007

could you kindly tell folks what your windows version is, antivirus protection is, when last updated and what other protection is on board and when last run?

jonmac 10:34 30 Dec 2007

Johnnybee/p;3
Thanks for that advice. I run XP SP2 on an Athlon 64x2 4200+ with AVG (updated daily), Zone Alarm, Windows Defender and occasional use of Ccleaner, Adaware & Spybot (not run for 30 days or so until now)
I have now run all of these as suggested and although a few tracking cookies were found and dealt with nothing more serious was reported so presumably I'm OK.
It was the full email in the original notification that had me wondering, first time I've seen that.
Anyway thanks for your time guys and all the best for the coming New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?