Do I have an SP3 problem?

xania 15:57 28 Sep 2008

Just installed a fresh XP Pro SP2 and then in order, SP3, Partition Magic and Tweak UI Power Tool before saving a copy to an external Hard Drive. So far so good. Reboots fine and even copying the external hard disk back to C: works fine.
Loaded up network and ran Windows Update, then installed Norton and ran all up-dates. Still OK.
Next Offcie 2008 and Adaware. Still OK.
Finally installed Download Demon only to find that now I cannot access Windows Explorer in any way without the system crashing with a detected error and request to advise Microsoft of the problem. I can still open programs if I don't need to find them via Windows Explorer.
My MOBO is an MS7093 with ATI RS480/RX480 Chipset and 3800+ dual processor pre-installed. I bought the MOBO & processor as an exces stock item and I suspect it was designed for an HP PC.
This is only an experimental system build so that i can understand what will work with what, so there's no actual damage, but I would like to try to avoiding wasting time with wasted re-installs.
Any thoughts?

xania 16:00 28 Sep 2008

ot to mention that I tried removing SP3 to see if that imporverd matters, but iot did not, so I scrapped the build and am now back to a fresh XP Pro SP2 and with SP3, Partition Magic and Tweak UI Power Tool and some Windows updates.

xania 09:13 29 Sep 2008

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie