Do I have the right graphics card?

herrflick 20:53 07 Jan 2010

Hello Folks,

I recently bought a desktop pc and it came with an ATI Radeon HD4670 1GB graphics card. However on my device manager it says my GC is an ATI Radeon HD 4600 series. I've also ran SIW which said the same thing.

How do I know if I have the HD4670 and not the inferior HD4650?

How can I make sure?

Any suggestions would be very grateful

Thanks

GaT7 21:02 07 Jan 2010

The best way may be to open the case & get the part number off the label. It may also mention HD 4670.

You can also try GPU-Z click here, but you're likely to find the info as cryptic as SIW! Post a screenshot of the GPU-Z application after you've run it & we'll take a look. One can use the info it provides to find out which card exactly. G

herrflick 23:30 07 Jan 2010

Hey Crossbow,
I dont want to open the case as they say it will void my waranty if the seal is broken.

Ok, heres a link to a screenshot of the info from GPU-Z click here

Hope it works.

Thanks for your help again!

N.

herrflick 23:33 07 Jan 2010

In case you need the sensors info click here

GaT7 17:09 08 Jan 2010

Thanks for the screenshot.

Well, by looking at all that info it is indeed a HD4670. Every GPU has a unique Device ID - the HD4670's is 1002-9490, which matches yours. Also this, in combination with all the other info, indicates it can only be a HD4670. Google the Device ID & see what you come up with.

In addition, if this is part of the system you purchased from Novatech (going by your other thread click here), it will be what they say it is.

I cannot see Novatech cheating anyone, but it's always wise to check one has received the system spec (or better) they paid for - so you did the right thing. I've heard of some system builders swapping components with cheaper, lower-spec components - there has been a few related complaints on this forum over the years. G

P.S. To prove my earlier point about the Device ID giving away what card it is, here are the details of my GPU - a screenshot of GPU-Zclick here. What you have to do is tell me exactly what card I have.

herrflick 17:55 08 Jan 2010

A test? I feel like I'm back at school :)

The GC is from the Novatech system. I didn't think they had cheated me but everyone makes mistakes. I think it was a post you had commented on earlier which I read that suggested I check my system so thx for ALL of your help.

Another thumbs up for Novatech then! All I have to do is get my monitor sorted and I'll be jammin'.

Ok, better go find out what that GC of yours before I'm sent to the headmaster.

N.

P.S How's your knowledge of joypads for PC's? I'm thinking of expanding my use of games (now that I know I have a decent GC) but I'm a joypad man so I'm looking for a good one for my system. I've had a wee look and it looks like it's either an Xbox 360 for pc or a PS2 joypad converter. I would prefer to use my PS2 joypads but I've read of compatability problems. Any thoughts? Should I post this in the consumer forum?

herrflick 17:59 08 Jan 2010

Crossbow, I think your GC is a Mobilitiy Radeon HD 3450.

Am I right?

GaT7 18:13 08 Jan 2010

Close - very good :-) (you'll get your sweeties later). It is indeed a HD3450, but not a mobility one! I.e. it's a desktop GC, not a laptop one. Anyway, I hope you're convinced now.

"I didn't think they had cheated me but everyone makes mistakes." - that's right, & as I said before, it's always wise to check.

Sorry, I don't know much about joypads. I've owned a basic one for several years, but have used it less than 5 times only. Whatever you opt for, read independent & user reviews for it before buying - latter on sites like Amazon & eBuyer.

Btw, I didn't know that Novatech sealed their cases for warranty purposes. So that means one cannot make any changes/upgrades to their system without invalidating it - within the initial 1-year warranty period anyway. That's a bit restrictive isn't it? I wouldn't be pleased with that! G

GaT7 18:13 08 Jan 2010

"gold star for me?"

Gold stars it IS (scratch sweeties). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017