Belarc Advisor reports correctly that I have 2 !GB DIMMS installed in sequence to support by dual processor. However is is also reporting that I have only 1792 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory. What's going on?
I'm running XP Pro SP3 and the internals are ASUSTeK M3A78-CM motherboard with 3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor
1. Locate your computer's Control Panel. Windows users should click on the "Start" button in the lower left hand corner of the screen. When the Start menu comes up click on "Control Panel."
2. Locate the "System" icon. Click to open. In some Windows operating systems this can be found by first clicking the "Performance and Maintenance" icon.
3. Under the tab labeled "General," look to the bottom of the window for information regarding the amount of RAM available in your system. Write down this number or enter it into a calculator This will be a whole number after the GHz information. Keep the System panel open.
4. Multiply the amount of RAM by 1.5. If you have a lot of available space on your hard drive or a secondary hard drive, you may choose to increase the 1.5 to 2, 3 or 5. Write down the final calculated number that will best serve your purposes.
5. In your System panel, click on the tab labeled "Advanced."
6. Click the "Settings" button under Performance.
7. Click the "Advanced" tab.
8. Click the "Change" button under Virtual Memory.
9. Change both of the values listed next to Initial Size and Maximum Size to the number calculated in Step 4.
10. Click "Set" followed by clicking "OK." The virtual memory has now been increased and the Control Panel can be closed.