Do I have a RAM problem

xania 17:53 11 Oct 2010

Belarc Advisor reports correctly that I have 2 !GB DIMMS installed in sequence to support by dual processor. However is is also reporting that I have only 1792 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory. What's going on?

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and the internals are ASUSTeK M3A78-CM motherboard with 3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor

Nontek 17:56 11 Oct 2010

Sounds about right to me - the PC needs and uses some of your RAM, for umpteen bits of processing.

xania 23:52 11 Oct 2010

Of course - the on-board video card - forgot about.

I was looking to see what I needed for Windoiws 7 and that's what started this. However, I've now turned up lots of other problems with drivers so I've given myself more excuses to stay with XP!!

Ta for now.

kristain 08:50 12 Oct 2010

Try this stuff:

1. Locate your computer's Control Panel. Windows users should click on the "Start" button in the lower left hand corner of the screen. When the Start menu comes up click on "Control Panel."

2. Locate the "System" icon. Click to open. In some Windows operating systems this can be found by first clicking the "Performance and Maintenance" icon.

3. Under the tab labeled "General," look to the bottom of the window for information regarding the amount of RAM available in your system. Write down this number or enter it into a calculator This will be a whole number after the GHz information. Keep the System panel open.

4. Multiply the amount of RAM by 1.5. If you have a lot of available space on your hard drive or a secondary hard drive, you may choose to increase the 1.5 to 2, 3 or 5. Write down the final calculated number that will best serve your purposes.

5. In your System panel, click on the tab labeled "Advanced."

6. Click the "Settings" button under Performance.

7. Click the "Advanced" tab.

8. Click the "Change" button under Virtual Memory.

9. Change both of the values listed next to Initial Size and Maximum Size to the number calculated in Step 4.

10. Click "Set" followed by clicking "OK." The virtual memory has now been increased and the Control Panel can be closed.

click here for more help.

Nontek 09:16 12 Oct 2010

Spammer !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone